8k tv vs 4k: will 4K be eliminated soon? should I wait?

Nike Kidman

At the CES exhibition at the beginning of the year, many brand TV manufacturers brought 8K flat-panel TVs. This year was also praised by many media and manufacturers as the first year of 8K. All of these indicate that the current development of 8K is indeed very prosperous. Compared with 8K, 4K has been proposed and implemented for several years, but it is far from popular. With the emergence and development of 8K, Japan’s NHK (Japan Broadcasting Association) officially launched 8K satellite channels in December last year. , Which makes many people start to worry or doubt whether 4K will be eliminated soon. What is the real situation?

8k tv vs 4k:  will 4K be eliminated soon? should I wait?

8k tv vs 4k: 12bit & 68.48 billion colors

The updating of TVs, from black and white TVs to color TVs, from CRT TVs to LCD TVs, is constantly upgrading and updating, and the display resolution has also developed from 480p to 1080p, and then to 4K. Now it has come to the era of 8K, which can be considered It's relatively fast.

In terms of resolution, from SD to Full HD to Ultra HD 4K, the development and evolution of each stage takes about 10 years, and the emergence of 8K is just the beginning. The 8K resolution is 7680×4320, 4 times larger than that of 4K (3840×2160), 16 times of Full HD (1920×1080), and its ultimate definition is 16 times that of Blu-ray.

8k tv vs 4k: still far from enough

In addition, 8K TVs use the second-generation high dynamic contrast technology. The light and dark detail processing part of the picture has been greatly improved. The color depth has been increased to 12bit, which can display 68.48 billion colors, so the color transition is smoother and closer to the colors of the real world. It can be said that the 8K display has many advantages, and it also allows We are looking forward to 8K. But to popularize and replace 4K, it is far from enough at present.

To replace the currently relatively mature 4K, 8K needs to not only increase the size of the screen and increase the resolution, but also need sufficient support in hardware and software. 8K, especially 8K TV, has a very large industrial chain, including chips, display panels, shooting equipment, content, storage, network transmission, codec and many other factors. Take transmission as an example.

HDMI2.0 only supports up to 4K 60Hz content transmission, and HDMI2.1 can support 8K 60Hz content transmission. The latest version of the HDMI2.1 cable standard is mentioned above, which is set for 8K, but The HDMI2.1 version of the cable is still far from mass production and promotion. At this point, it is currently impossible for 8K to completely replace 4K, regardless of other aspects such as content provision and network transmission. It is also far from enough to support the popularization and promotion of 8K TV.

As for other equipment manufacturers, new interfaces and new standards require more time to define and accumulate. The promotion and popularization of 8K, even to replace 4K, still has a long way to go, but I believe that with the development of 5G and other technologies, it will promote the faster popularization of 8K.