Buying guide - The best home theater projectors in 2020

Bread Pitt

It's a little sad, but below 3000 USD it is very difficult to find good home theater projectors, so I have listed only three. Admittedly, there are DLP with 4K simulation, but did they deserve to be included in this buying guide? I decided not, because if they present for the most part a good dive, their depth of black leaves something to be desired, so much so that one has the impression of going back over ten years!

In this buying guide, the machines are listed in ascending price order.

Benq W1090

The Benq W1090 is a mono-DLP, Full HD projector, not HDR compatible.

My opinion
Certainly, the Benq W1090 is only Full HD and is not HDR compatible, but it remains a safe bet for those who wish to have a real home theater image without spending a fortune.

Sony VPL-HW45ES / Sony VPL-HW65ES

These projectors have reflective LCD matrices (called SXRD at Sony) Full HD, and are not HDR compatible.

My opinion
These two projectors are a bit old, but these are the machines that deliver the most beautiful image around 2000 €! So if you don't succumb to the sirens of 4K and HDR, you won't be disappointed with these devices.

Epson EH-TW9400

The Epson EH-TW9400 has full HD transmissive LCD arrays, but accepts Ultra HD definition thanks to a wobulation system. It is also HDR compatible.

My opinion
Below 3000 USD the Epson EH-TW9400 is absolutely essential for those who want HDR compatibility. In addition, it is very well equipped, in particular thanks to its fully motorized lens with zoom memories.
The Epson EH-TW9400 is not perfect, we can for example blame it for its perfectible fluidity, but potential competitors are far behind!

Optoma UHZ65

The Optoma UHZ65 is a mono-DLP projector with 4K simulation. It is HDR compatible.

My opinion
It's the only 4K simulated DLP on the list because it stands out! Admittedly, it does have some weaknesses such as an inconspicuous rainbow effect or shallow blacks without artifices, but it does have real assets such as high brightness, laser lighting or excellent sharpness. If you don't have a budget of at least € 5,000 but still want 4K definition, this is the only credible home theater projector.

Sony VPL-VW270ES

The Sony VPL-VW270ES has native 4K reflective LCD arrays (called Sony's SXRD). It is also HDR compatible.
The Sony VPL-VW270ES is the entry level of native 4K projectors.

My opinion
With the Sony VPL-VW270ES we begin to enter the “big leagues”, that is to say the playground of projectors without any real weaknesses. It is very difficult to be disappointed with this type of machine.

Conclusion

There is something for everyone, and especially for all budgets, but I will not finish without reminding that the price of a projector is not everything. Indeed, the projection conditions (light control with or without technical canvas, the quality of the canvas and sources), as well as the implementation of the projector (calibration), play a fundamental role in the final result.