Epson EH-TW9400 Review: not naive 4K, but very impressive in 2020

vivian334

After receiving the Epson EH-TW9400, I expressed my first good impressions about the Epson EH-TW9400, well this is confirmed! It is indeed a projector that I often calibrate, and each time I say to myself: what a machine at this price! It should be understood that this projector has many advantages, the depth of black to start. Certainly, there is better in this area, but since its dynamic iris is super well managed, when you activate it you get very correct blacks, not so far from those of a Sony VPL-VW270ES for example.

Epson EH-TW9400 Review: what a machine!

EPSON EH-TW9400

Another advantage is the high brightness and good management of the HDR. The Epson EH-TW9400 has several luminance curves in HDR, which makes it possible to perfectly adapt the brightness of the image to the size of its screen. But it is not finished, it is in my opinion the projector that has the best readability in dark scenes in HDR. So, once well calibrated, you get to see details much better than with any other machine, even much more expensive, and all this with very deep blacks. What more ?

Certainly, this is not a native 4K projector. So what ? I was talking about it recently in the April editorial, 4K isn't everything. Thus, I prefer to have this high brightness which allows to obtain a beautiful HDR, even when the lamp has lost its superb. And the sharpness is not so bad with this projector, especially since it has a lot of effective settings to enhance the details.

As for fluidity, things have improved a lot compared to its predecessor. Admittedly, it is not perfect, but it is much better than any DLP projector with 4K simulation on the market, which present many more problems in this area!
Finally, I will discuss colorimetry. Admittedly, it is not good out of the box, it is the white balance that is involved. But after calibration, it is much better than with any other brand. For example, the Epson EH-TW9400 has a tool that allows you to refine the white balance on almost the entire gray scale (from 10% to 80%), it is completely unique on the video projection market!
All this to say that when you have a budget below 3000 €, well the Epson EH-TW9400 is totally essential.