Is my TV a real HDR TV? How can I recognize it?

BigZ

Is my TV a real HDR TV? How can I recognize it?

hdr tv.jpg

Now many TVs are advertising themselves as HDR TVs, but are these really HDR TVs? What are the requirements for HDR TV? This article will tell you the answer.

1. Brightness​

brightness of tv.jpg

A typical video or photo is in SDR format. SDR will discard the too dark or too bright parts, making the overall picture less detailed. HDR photos or videos, on the other hand, can clearly and completely retain the bright and dark details, recording and presenting a more informative and realistic picture.

Therefore, if you want to present HDR images, you need the brightness of the display device to be high enough, otherwise, HDR will lose its meaning. For TVs, at least the peak brightness of the TV needs to be 800nit or more to reach the threshold of HDR. If you want to present HDR better, the general brightness requirement of the TV reaches 1000nit (peak).

2. Wide color gamut​

color gamut.jpg

HDR video will record more picture information, which includes not only brightness, but also color information. To display HDR images, we need our TV to be able to cover a wider color gamut.

We generally measure the color gamut by sRBG or P3 or NTSC to describe. In general, the higher the number in front, the wider the color gamut covered (can be super high 100%). For example, our previous computer screens are 45% NTSC low color gamut screen, the display effect is very flat, while the current computer screens generally cover up to 85% NTSC, or even wider.

For TVs to display HDR, they need at least 95% of the P3 or sRBG color gamut, which allows the TV to display colors closer to what our human eyes see, and the colors are more brilliant.

3. 10bit​

color bit.jpg

To display more details, you also need the TV screen to support 10bit output. The general TV can display 8bit colors, about 16.7 million colors, while the 10bit screen can display 1 billion colors. 10bit can significantly reduce the color fault, improve the TV's ability to restore the grayscale, so that the picture is more delicate and the transition is more natural.

In short, if you want to experience "true HDR", three factors of brightness, color gamut, and 10bit can not be missing. To meet these three, either OLED TVs, or high-end LCD TVs with zonal light control.