Jeanne (2019) Review from Chinese famous director Xiefei

akagi1945

At the 24th Clara International Film Festival in India, at the same time as my movie "A Girl from Hunan", I pulled out to see the new French film Jeanne in the next hall.

Jeanne (2019)
  • JeanneDirector : Bruno Dumont
  • Screenplay : Bruno Dumont / Charles Tony Arata
  • Starring : Lisa Le Pla-Puluduomu / Annick Lavieville / Justine Herbez / Benoît Robail / Alain Desjacques
  • type: Plot / History / War
  • Producer Country / Region: French
  • Language: French
  • Release Date: 2019-05-18 (Cannes Film Festival)
  • Length: 137 minutes
  • aka: Jeanne d' Arc 2 / Jeanne d' Arc / Joan of Arc

French film Jeanne is a very unconventional treatment of the historical theme of Jeanne d'Arc. It can be said that the French film Jeanne is a three-act real drama. In the first war, the characters only read lines in the wilderness. Except for the scheduling of coming and going, there are no real and specific war actions and scenes.

French film Jeanne Review from Chinese director

Xiefei: the French film Jeanne? can't really appreciate this​

In the French film Jeanne, the second trial, performed in a huge real church, is still a large dialogue line in a dramatic style. The third scene is justified. I did n’t watch the dialogue with the audience after going to the screening. I guess it ’s the same drama. By the way, the characters in the movie sing a lot of songs from time to time. I only understand English subtitles. The heroine is a fifteen or sixteen-year-old amateur actor, and is also considered due diligence.

However, I can't really appreciate this pure form of alienation in French film Jeanne. Some 138-minute movies, some viewers are gone, some are sleeping. But the critics still have a lot of praise. May be I am too old to understand this.

Recently, I scored a few movies that are only innovative in form and technique, but they still have some awards and some are respected! Is it the generation gap, or am I too old-fashioned? Who knows?