PS5 SSD: Developers Will Deal With It On Xbox Series X According To Microsoft

Xmint

While we should be only a few days away from the E3 conferences, the battle between Microsoft and Sony will take place through digital events. The Redmond company will present its 1st party games at an event in July, while we are still awaiting the presentation of the PlayStation 5 . If we still do not know all the specs of the Japanese machine, different directions are taken between the two giants.

We know that the Xbox Series X seems to have an advantage over its competitor in terms of CPU and GPU. At the same time, the PS5 has in its bag a weapon of choice since its SSD , long presented by Mark Cerny last March, will have a bandwidth 2 times that of the Xbox Series X.

Guest of the Iron Lords Podcast , William Stillwell, a long-time employee of Microsoft (backward compatibility, xCloud, mixed reality ...), gave his opinion on the question of the PS5 SSD as well as the way third-party publishers will adapt the games on both machines.

"They will find a way around the problem"

If the exclusive games will be entirely designed around the Xbox Series X and its performance, this will not be the case for third-party publishers who will have to juggle between two consoles, each with distinct advantages. As we know, the SSD will notably allow us to eliminate loading times and do without certain techniques aimed at slowing the player's progress to load the next area. When asked what he thinks of the PS5 SSD, and the differences that there could be in cross-platform games, the man replies:

I will say two things. First, I understand that this is a marketing point and an important point - and I think I said it in the last podcast that we did, I am really impressed by what they did in architecture with their SSD and I think they'll be able to do some really cool stuff with that
Although impressed, he clarified that developers should not be underestimated and their ability to learn, taking advantage of the capabilities of machines; and that it works both ways. He also thinks that what we will see on PS5 thanks to the SSD will not be as impressive as what the Xbox Series X will offer. Microsoft developers will learn to work around this problem and it's not something Sony will have a monopoly on indefinitely.

PS5 SSD: Developers Will Deal With It On Xbox Series X According To Microsoft

Imagine, there may be elevators in the Xbox Series X version and not in the PS5 version. I don't know how they will fix it yet, but they will learn to deal with it and they will find ways to work around it.
Unlike the current generation which came out with a significant delay on what the PC world had to offer at the time, the gap between these two worlds will be much narrower at the end of the year. The two consoles will undoubtedly be high-performance machines which should offer more successful experiences, despite the different choices made. For our part, we can't wait to see how the games will benefit from these muscular technical sheets.

Dramaqueen

"They will find a way around the problem" He is the bad guy, embellish the competitor and say that your ssd will be a problem is not terrible. Some should take trading lessons at xbox

We all know how it will happen anyway: on third party games, the full power of the Series X and the speed of the PS5 will not be fully exploited, that's all! It is only on first party games that each one will really make its case.

Tyler123

Oh the nice comm mistake : '-))

In my opinion he tried to say, roughly, "yeah, it's the SSD, but it's mostly a comm argument", and not to just seem like the c ***** * d which descends the competition, it spends a little ointment at the same time. Suddenly his message is much less clear than it could have been, and leaves room for interpretation.

Sony focuses its comm on its SSD, it's good war: the console is less powerful on paper, they put forward their arguments. You produce a car that is not very powerful but very economical, well you focus your like the economy, not the power. You produce a powerful but not economical car, you focus your comm on power, not on economy. It just makes sense. Clearly he should have laid more emphasis on the power of the Xbox. But hey, at least it's not a marketing speech written in advance by a dedicated team, and that's it already.

After, yeah, MS has taken the ascending level comm since the presentation of the console, it would be stupid for them to lose this lead with poorly calculated outputs of this kind.

Personally, being a gamer and working in the comm, this is the kind of thing that makes me neither hot nor cold, but clearly on a large scale, for the average player, it will be important.

Venus

The human brain has trouble with logarithmic or exponential progression curves. And this is the case with SSD speeds. If we do a somewhat caricatural calculation we quickly see that we must enormously increase the bit rates to obtain a significant time saving beyond 1GB / s: To transfer 4GB of data with the current generation of HDD it takes about 80s to 50MB / s. With the speed announced by Microsoft of 4.8GB / s, we get 0.8s. With that of Sony at 9GB / s we get 0.4s. The difference is immediately less impressive ... Not sure that third-party publishers have so many problems as that to go from one console to another. The future will tell us.