The YouTube MaterialDesign look refreshes the AppleTV app

mtn328

In order to maintain a consistent user interface on phones, tablets, computers, smart TVs, and other devices, Google is exiting a new Apple TV YouTube app that supports Google's custom Material Desigh.

Now, you can easily find new related videos through the dedicated categories at the top of the screen, including recommendations, entertainment, food, music, games, technology, comedy, and more. YouTube's video player has acquired custom playback controls, and you can now browse the relevant clips while the currently playing video is paused.

If the video is provided in 4K resolution, the video thumbnail will eventually display the "4K" label.

The bad news is that this has no practical effect at all, because the improved application (like the old one) is limited to full hd resolution (1920 x 1080), even on Apple TV 4K.

The YouTube MaterialDesign look refreshes the AppleTV app

This is because YouTube relies on the VP9 codec for 4K streaming (originally developed by Google), rather than the h.265 that Apple TV 4K native supports. What a pity, Google!

The good news is that the application now supports frame rate switching between 24, 30, and 60 FPS.

On the left side of the screen is a new extended sidebar with controls that were previously lined up side by side with the top of the screen, such as "search," "home page," "library," "history," and your account Settings. Now you can add multiple YouTube accounts and easily switch between them, which is great because the overhauled app is more family-friendly than the old version.

Unfortunately, the software failed to implement support for tvOS '" top shelf "feature, which does not allow applications in the top row to play their favorite content (like iTunes movies or in the App Store) in a full-angle roving banner at the top of the home screen.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the new look and feel of the YouTube tvOS application, because the experience is now more akin to an embedded Web view than a real native application. On the other hand, I like change, so I may prefer the application after I get used to the new design.

However, I believe that Google should follow Apple's tvOS development and Design guidelines more closely, rather than trying to sell us Material Design styles. YouTube, for Apple TV, no longer has good citizenship on tvOS, so it's sad.

If you have disabled the option to automatically install application updates, manually update YouTube to the latest version by selecting the update option on its app store page.

Google last week launched its official YouTube TV app for the Apple set-top box, a joke for reapers that brings popular radio channels, networks and shows (including live local sports and news) to the Apple TV platform for just $35 a month.

Have you seen YouTube's new Material Design look on Apple TV?