Games Getting More Expensive on Xbox Series X: Players have to Choose

waterloo

There is an article in the forum about the increasing price of games on Xbox Series X and PS5 and if some publishers are still cautious, the price of next-gen games is still a hot topic. Phil Spencer, boss of the Xbox division at Microsoft, spoke on the subject very recently.

The consumer will buy it ... or not

It all started with 2K Games which announced a higher price for NBA 2K21 on next-gen consoles , an increase of $5 compared to the current PC and console versions. Since then, other voices have been raised but few publishers are still getting wet. We had to listen to IDG Consulting to learn that other publishers would like to follow suit and follow an upward trend in the price of net-gen games .

Games Getting More Expensive on Xbox Series X: Players have to Choose

Phil Spencer for his part refuses to talk about the price of Xbox Series X games for the moment. But according to what he tells the Washington Post , it is the consumer who will mark the trend.

As an industry, we can set the price of anything we want and the customer will decide what is the right price for them.

I am not negative about those who set a new retail price for their games because I know that everyone will make their own decisions based on their own business needs. But players have more choices today than they have ever had. In the end, it is the customer who controls the price they pay and I trust this system.

Speaking of choice, Phil Spencer obviously refers to the Xbox Game Pass . Today, an Xbox player can decide to buy their games individually in physical format with a box and a disc inside, or in digital format on the Microsoft Store or elsewhere.

But another possibility is offered to him: that of subscribing to the Xbox Game Pass subscription and of enjoying the more than 200 games included in the service for ten euros per month. The service now has more than 10 million members and is constantly being talked about. Not only because all games from Xbox studios are available from the day of release in the service, but also because the streaming service of Xbox games on mobile will be offered at no additional cost to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers . A new argument which will be implemented from next September, including in Europe

reality

“But players have more choices today than they have ever had. In the end, it is the customer who controls the price they pay and I trust this system. "

A widely oriented system that does not leave that choice to the player who finds himself in a dead end to enjoy his passion. The salespeople count on this to justify the rise in prices and Phil Spencer practices the language of wood as rarely making believe that the player is the decisive heart of the equation. Of course...