Prison Architect Game Review: realizing my dream of reviving Theme Hospital

The same theme of simulation construction + operation is full of black humor and parody. The same 2D picture is different from the 45 ° angle of view adopted by the Theme Hospital, which is more absurd and bizarre than that of Prison Architect, while the Prison Architect is more realistic and hardcore. When I played Prison Architect for the first time, or in the middle alpha stage, when there was no chapel in the game, my mind kept popping up a sentence: "change the name, call it theme prince?"

The Theme Hospital, like a large number of simulation games in the 1990s, tries to show the operation of an institution and a system in real life in the way of games, so that players can participate as managers to explore infinite possibilities. I used to play Theme Hospital when I was very young, and I always wondered if I could make something else in the public sector according to the game model? Like school? Or prison? Hospitals, schools, prisons, and so on, actually have something in common. It is a complex collection of departments that perform their duties. The functions of these departments are organically combined to form a complete and relatively closed hospital, school and prison. Such an organization is suitable for choosing the theme of the game like Prison Architect, because the specific arrangement of these departments, even the placement of specific positions, have space for players to play freely.

The Prison Architect has realized such a dream. The first feeling for me is the resurrection of the Theme Hospital.

The reason why the Theme Hospital is more absurd is that although it is a hospital, it only borrows the structure of the hospital and does not bring in many actual diseases and departments. Although there are a lot of black humor plots in Prison Architect, it is generally more hardcore than the Theme Hospital. That is to say, my prison basically conforms to the basic structure of the actual prison. What the prison needs also basically conforms to the actual situation of the prison. The prisoners are basically guilty of some real crimes. At the same time, compared with the simplification of the subject hospital in terms of system complexity, Prison Architect shows the style of independent studio: increasing the complexity of the system in the alpha stage: the whole system of the game has been very perfect since I bought the game on steam: Prison partition, prisoner classification, labor transformation and education, arrangement of security personnel in each area, emergency treatment, etc., however, the game still follows A lot of new content has been added, such as the legendary characteristics of criminals, such as the informant system, etc., which enriches the playability of the whole late game - I think that the breadth of the game system of Prison Architect is better than that of the Theme Hospital: almost all the things in the prison that an ordinary player can think of are in the game.

Another advantage of the system of Prison Architect is that the complexity of the whole game system is increasing according to the scale of your prison: for example, CCTV, armed guards, for example, I need to study the characteristics of each prisoner more carefully, cultivate more reliable informants, arrange the patrol routes of the guards more carefully, etc. This kind of difficulty is cleverly grasped, and milestone, which simulates urban games, keeps unlocking buildings through urban development all the functions of architect are put there at the beginning (some of them need to be studied, but the research is only related to money. The game is not stuck. You have to study something on what scale). Only in the process of the game, with the expansion of the prison scale, you will naturally use those more complex functions, which makes the players have a natural The desire to explore the whole picture of the game - this is the key to the later stage of sanbox game so that players can still put in.

Prison Architect comes from introversion software, a small independent team, but the team has previously done such obscure but good quality works as uplink and Darwin. The alpha phase is almost January 1, and we attach great importance to the suggestions given by the players in the steam community. Many functions in the whole game system are actually the brain holes of the players, which are implemented by the programmers. As a small studio, no matter from the game design or the attitude of external performance, the core players are not regarded as fools or enemies, but as friends, so it has gained quite good reputation and sales volume. Maybe it's also because of the perspective of looking down. I think the temperament of Prison Architect and doorkickers (games on steam) are very similar, and they are also complete and excellent. I think Prison Architect is one of the best simulation build + business games in recent years.

Attachments

• 1589596941086.png
    1589596941086.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 228