The Grudge 2020 is flawed but I liked it

bigapple

The Grudge (2020)
R | 1h 34min | Horror, Mystery | 3 January 2020 (USA)
Score: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

This movie is definitely flawed, but I enjoyed it. I am totally understand the criticisms of the movie not being "entertaining," but just because something is bleak doesn't mean it's boring. I liked this story better than that of the 2004 version. It made much more sense, and it justified the characters' decisions (such as why anyone would continue to live in the house after seeing the ghosts). Quite a few of the jump scares got me. A couple got me particularly good. A few are duds, but they didn't bother me too much. The acting is pretty great all around, and I had some fun with Jacki Weaver's character. The movie felt mean-spirited, but that's not exactly a novelty for the franchise. The gore was very well-done and tasteful (IMO). A few of the more gruesome bits made me squirm. I appreciated the ways this one clicked into the continuity of the 2004 version, and the slight expansions on the mythology were cool to me. While I wish this was set in the present, I understand the 2004-2006 setting. I thought the use of the number "4" was a pretty cool motif, as this is essentially The Grudge 4.

The Grudge (2020)