1917 movie short review: realistic story in a poetic way

Weppera

The super long lens that is mirrored to the end of the 1917 movie renders the cruelty and sorrow of the battlefield. With careful composition colors and scene details, the whole movie is very immersive. The sun-like flares, the kind girl in the basement, the river full of corpses, the homesick songs that soldiers listened to before the battle, and the rushing in front of the trench, 1917 may be the most beautiful war movie in recent years.

Some people may not like the realistic silhouette of 1917 but tell stories in a poetic way. But I love it.

I think the shooting technique of this movie is superb, and the mirror is naturally like the human eye, which makes up for the lack of vision of the human eye. In fact, it is difficult to shoot long shots. During filming and production of the 1917 movie, actors and cameras needed to continue to traverse multiple major trenches, farms, ruins, rivers, woods, and other nearly six or seven major scenes. Together with post-editing, special effects company background replacement and digital processing, more than a dozen shots were integrated. In the "one" long shot, according to the behind-the-scenes explanation, the time for the crew to arrange the actors reached half a year.

The plot of the 1917 movie is actually very simple and clear. It tells that in 1917, when the first world war entered its fiercest time, two 16-year-old British soldiers were ordered to immediately rush to the front of death to convey a immediately stop attacking message. With only eight hours to go, they ventured into the enemy zone and asked to stop attacking the Germans (to avoid be trapped), not only to save 1,600 British soldiers but also the brother on the front line.

The 1917 story was inspired by the grandfather of director Sam Mendes, who participated in the World War I. This is not a story about his grandfather, but the spirit of sacrifice conveyed in the movie is similar.

After watching the 1917 movie, I suddenly thought: I am very lucky. I was born in a peaceful age and should cherish the life I have now.

Anna

1917 movie won the 73rd BAFTA Awards in 2019, the 77th Golden Globes in 2020. It was also nominated for the 92nd Academy Awards. Sam Mendes brought us a beautiful and crutial war movie.

The first half of the war is a thriller, the second half of the war is classical. The doomsday church burning in the dark is impressive, there is such a beauty to forget the cruel visual impact of the battlefield.

Weppera

The first half of the war is a thriller, the second half of the war is classical. The doomsday church burning in the dark is impressive, there is such a beauty to forget the cruel visual impact of the battlefield.

The movie shows us dark beauty. The filming skill used in 1917 is really awesome.