Beware! Hisense TV Caught on Fire

vivian334

We 'had' a 50" BBY Insignia brand TV made by Hisense.

The TV was just under two tears old. While watching it, heard a sizzling sound and then smelled that unique odor of burning electronics. Dense black smoke poured from the vents on the back of the set. Our smoke alarms went off and I ran for the fire extinguisher. When I got back to the room, the smoke stopped. It discolored the back plastic of the TV, as well as the wall and ceiling. Called Hisense. They said "sorry, but you must call Best Buy". Called BBY.

They said "sorry it's out of warranty". After pushing the issue for weeks and sending photos they put me in contact with the "escalations office". They then offered me a $100 gift card. I opened the TV to see if it was repairable, but it was hopeless. The plastic inside was melted and charred. I wish I could attach my photos because they tell the whole story.

vivian334

The fire looks like it was snuffed out due to lack of oxygen. When I took the TV apart, the bright white plastic shell behind the glass was severely melted and covered in soot. It was sealed tight against the glass with a very thin layer of foam. That is why I think it snuffed itself out.

Xmint

No TV or electronics manufacturer is immune to occasional product failures. In this case, you are fortunate that the issue did not cause a house fire. There is no warranty in this case and you will need to move on.

There is no further recourse for you at this point. The lesson is to choose a different brand and/or an extended warranty when you replace the broken TV.