Care for OLED TVs to avoid burn-in and image retention

Have you ever experienced burn-in on an Oled TV?

• Yes, after 6 months of use.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, after 1 year of use.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes, after 2 years of use.

• Yes, after 3 (or more) years of use.

• No, I never had burn-in. I have had an Oled TV for 1 year.

• No, I've never had burn-in. I've had an Oled TV for 2 years.

• No, I've never had burn-in. I've had an Oled TV for 3 (or more) years.

• Total voters

Barton7

One of the questions often asked about OLED TVs is burn-in or image retention which is unavoidable. OLED TVs display a fixed pattern in a certain area for a long time leading to image residuals due to the rapid aging of a small area of organophosphorus light-emitting dots.

First and foremost to avoid burn-in is never unplug the power plug of the TV right after using it, so never prevent the TV to make the respective cleaning cycles of image retention that may arise. This is the main reason why TVs in stores have burn-in because they make general power cuts to all the outlets of the TVs, so the OLEDs are always prevented from doing the image retention cleaning, and over time the accumulation of retention is what will cause burn-in.

Another recommendation is not to use the TV excessively for several hours straight (for example, 5 or 6) with the same content or on the same channel. And you should vary the content as much as possible after a few hours of watching the same content or channel.

It is also not recommended to have the OLED light always at maximum. There is no problem in having the maximum on some occasions, as in some hours of the day when there is a lot of light in the room or then in HDR / Dolby Vision content where it is even convenient to be at maximum not to lose the effect. But whenever possible, you should lower the OLED light a little, especially if the TV will be on for long hours with the same static items on the screen (like HUDs in games or logos/banners on tv channels). I think 60 - 70 is already enough to be safeguarded.

In the TV settings, at least in LG's, in OLED Panel Settings, there is an option called Logo Brightness Adjustment. This option should be enabled and at least in the Low option that is sufficient. If you want to be even more confident, you can set it to High. Also in the OLED Panel Settings, activate the Screen Shift option as another preventive measure.

Normally all OLED TVs have 2 types of retention cleaning cycles that are done automatically over time.

LG OLED TV.jpg

LG for example has a short cleaning cycle that is done every 4 hours of cumulative use. This cycle is very fast taking only a few minutes. Then there is a much longer cleaning cycle, which takes 1 hour and is scheduled every 2000 hours of accumulated use. This extended cleaning cycle can be done manually, and is accessible in the OLED Panel Settings, but should only be done if you notice any anomaly in the image (some retention, deformity, stuck pixel, etc.). I reinforce the recommendation to do this manual cleaning cycle ONLY if really necessary, do not do it unnecessarily or as a routine because you will be excessively wearing the pixels and may end up damaging the panel (as was the case that happened here). Let the tv do the automatic cycles that will be more than enough. Only use the manual rejuvenator if you notice any anomaly in the panel.

Lily15

One thing that confuses me is varying the content. For example, I'm playing games for 2h in the afternoon and then I turn the TV off. In the evening another 1/2h playing again in this case I didn't vary the content but there was a pause in standby.

Barton7

One thing that confuses me is varying the content. For example, I'm playing games for 2h in the afternoon and then I turn the TV off. In the evening another 1/2h playing again in this case I didn't vary the content but there was a pause in standby.
In this case, there will be no problem because you are not too many hours with the tv on and the same content.

Even if you go back to the same content (in this case playing the same game) at least you are giving rest to the TV thus avoiding the possibility of aggressive retention, and any retention that may arise is easily cleaned with the automatic cleaning cycle every 4h of accumulated use. That is why it is very important to leave the power plug always connected to the outlet so that the tv is always on standby so that all cleaning cycles are always performed to avoid the accumulation of retention that is what can generate burn-in in the long run.