I have seen a stylish future in Westworld Season 3

Stefani

Westworld Season 3 has some pros and cons. Pro: Evan Rachel Wood looks amazing in every scene, and some of the interiors are incredible. Con: Everything else.

I enjoyed the effects and atmosphere of the first episode, though the premise it introduced was worrying- there was going to be a quest for access to Rehoboam, a massive computer that somehow predicts and controls all human behavior. Right. Couldn't they at least have had a cast meeting to agree on how to pronounce Rehoboam? In most places I've checked, it has four syllables.

It's downhill from there, with simulations within simulations ad nauseam. If only these people could remember where they put the password needed to control the fate of humankind! On the rare occasions when the show takes a stab at depicting basic stuff, it is clear the writers view verisimilitude as beneath them. All the research and effort have been expended on FX and sci-fi babble.

Westworld Season 3

In Season 1, at least the the abstractions remained tethered to an old but solid premise, the original Westworld. Season 2 began the descent into bong-fueled philosophizing, and Westworld Season 3 sounds like it was written by a pseudo-profound random phrase generator.

The show does raise some deep questions though. For example, in the future, why do people choose Samurai swords when taking on armed henchmen equipped with machine guns? And why, in a world where scientists can replicate and repair androids that think, feel, bleed and heal, is Ed Harris' character still missing two fingers from a mishap in the previous season?

These incoherent delights have incoherent ends.