Monos is an Intense hostage drama from Colombia

Monos is an Intense hostage drama from Colombia
Rated: ⭐⭐⭐⭐(4/5)

"Monos" (2019 release from Colombia; 102 min.) brings the story of a squadron of 8 teenage rebels and their American hostage. As the movie opens, we see the 8 teenagers, all aged around 15-16 but armed to the teeth, staying in shape in a remote Colombian mountain area. We find out they are part of "the Organization" and their task is to guard and watch over an American hostage, a woman they call "the doctora". The squadron receive a milk cow from an anonymous contributor but then, in a wild celebration one night, the cow is accidentally shot and killed... At this point we are 15 min. into the movie, but to tell you more of the plot would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Monos (2019)

Couple of comments: this movie is directed/co-written/co-produced by Alejandro Landes, whom I was previously not familiar with, but for whom I have gained immediate respect with this film. One can't help but think that the otherwise unnamed rebel group called the "Organization" stands for the notorious FARC. But that isn't even the main point of the movie (for me anyway). The movie examines how this life of military rebellion affects the lives of 8 teenagers who are tasked with guarding an American hostage (reminding us vaguely of "Lord of the Flies"). The movie is plot-heavy so you'll have to forgive me that I don't provide further plot details. I will say this: the movie is tense from the get-go, and never lets up. In fact, the movie becomes heavier and weirder (in the best possible way) as it goes on, and I found it to be a great viewing experience that couldn't be further from Hollywood's never-ending stream of comic book super heroes adaptations ("Joker" being the latest) and other such prequels and sequels and "reimaginations". "Monos" on the other hand is fresh and original. The movie features for us American viewers a no-name cast that is just outstanding. And wait until you see the vast landscapes of Colombia's mountainous terrains and dense rain forest!

Monos (2019)