Mrs. America: Women's empowerment and activism

reality

Mrs. America: Women's empowerment and activism

I'm not a historian, so I really can't speak to the historical accuracy of Mrs. America. I can, however, speak to its quality as a television show.

Mrs. America could easily have just been a sugar-coated, one-sided celebration of female unity and 'girl power.' Instead, they took the far more unique and challenging approach of telling the story of American feminism from the perspectives of women on BOTH sides of the debate. Rather than depict Phyllis Schlafly as some zombie brainwashed by the patriarchy, they show her for who she was--a powerful, successful political activist (whether or not you agree with her politics).

The cast is almost entirely female, which as a female viewer is really refreshing and fun to watch. Mrs. America illustrates that women are just as varied and diverse as men are; each character has her own background, motivation, and agenda. There's no single definition of what it means to be a liberated woman, and women's empowerment can cut both ways.

When organized, women are a force to be reckoned with. Whether that's a force for good or evil is up to your own interpretation.

Last edited: