Newbie questions on LCR speakers

maskasuba

Over the last year I've been getting more into my home theater (aka living room) set up. I know I need to upgrade my LCR speakers and do a better job with locating them. Due to a non-ideal room setup I currently have my LCR speakers in the ceiling with angled monoprice speakers (roast me all you want), driven by a Denon x1700 and I recently got two SVS PB-1000s https://omegle.onl/ vshare .
My questions: (1) Is there a significant difference between bookshelf or in-wall speakers? Probably a loaded question given so many variables, especially budget, but "dollar for dollar" if you will. (2) Are there strong recommendations either way for speakers in the range of <$2k? I don't mind used and have been keeping my eye out for deals. (3) The KEF T101/301 and 301c caught my eye; would those be ok or are slim speakers not ideal?
I realize almost anything will be better than what I have now so hoping to get something I'm not going to want to change after 6 months.

Last edited:

Hardon Williams

1. Bookshelf vs. In-wall Speakers:
    • Bookshelf speakers are versatile and can be placed on stands or shelves, providing flexibility in positioning for optimal sound.
    • In-wall speakers offer a clean, unobtrusive look but are more fixed in terms of placement.
    • Dollar for dollar, bookshelf speakers often provide a broader range of options and may be easier to upgrade in the future.
  2. Recommendations for <$2k:
    • In the <$2k range, you have many quality options. Brands like KEF, SVS, ELAC, and Bowers & Wilkins offer excellent choices.
    • Consider the SVS Ultra Bookshelf or ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 for bookshelf speakers. For in-wall options, the KEF Ci5160RL-THX or Klipsch PRO-7800-L-THX are worth exploring.
  3. Slim Speakers - KEF T101/301 and 301c:
    • Slim speakers like the KEF T101/301 can be suitable, especially if space is a concern. They offer a sleek aesthetic without compromising too much on sound quality.
    • However, keep in mind that slim speakers may not match larger speakers in terms of bass response. Pairing them with your SVS PB-1000s can address this concern.
Remember, personal preference plays a significant role in speaker selection. If possible, audition speakers before purchasing to ensure they align with your preferences. Given your current setup, any upgrade should bring a noticeable improvement. Happy hunting for your new speakers!