Portal TV User Guide: how to setup your portal

Wyatt21

How do I set up my Portal?
Before setting up your Portal, make sure to review the health and safety guidelines. To set up your Portal, you'll need a Facebook or WhatsApp account.

Portal TV

Assemble your Portal:

1. Place your Portal on a stable flat surface, like a tabletop or counter.
    • Do not place your Portal near sinks, showers, pools or other areas where it might get wet.
    • Do not place your Portal near sources of heat, such as stoves, ovens, or radiators.
    • Do not place Portal where it may be tipped over easily.
  2. Plug your Portal in with the included power cord.
    • Plug the included power cord into Portal first, then into an appropriate outlet.
      • Make sure the included power cord is fully plugged into your Portal before plugging it into an appropriate outlet.
    • Your Portal works when connected to a rated AC power source with 100V to 240V AC at 50Hz to 60Hz.
    • Arrange any cables and cords so that people and pets are not likely to trip over or accidentally pull on them as they move around or walk near the Portal.
Select your language and connect to Wi-Fi:

Once your Portal is plugged in, follow the on-screen instructions to begin setup.

1. Select your language, then tap Next.
  2. Connect to Wi-Fi.
    1. Select your Wi-Fi network.
    2. Enter your Wi-Fi password and tap Join.
    3. Tap Next.
    4. Tap Continue. Your Portal may need to download the latest software in order to complete setup. Once the download is complete, you may be asked to restart your Portal.

Give your Portal a name and log in with Facebook or WhatsApp:

Follow the on-screen instructions to continue setup.

1. Give your Portal a name. Tap an option from the menu or tap to create a Custom Name, then tap Next.
  2. Log in with Facebook or WhatsApp:
    1. Tap the box next to Facebook or WhatsApp, then tap Next.
    2. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Once you have finished connecting an account, follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete setup.

“Hey Portal” and other functionality is affected by language selection. Some features, including “Hey Portal,” Facebook Watch, Facebook Gaming, Facebook Live and Superframe customization aren't available when you set up your Portal with WhatsApp only or when a WhatsApp-only login exists on a shared device.

How do I set up or change the Wi-Fi network on my Portal?
During the initial setup of your Portal, you'll choose and connect to a Wi-Fi network. You can change your Portal's Wi-Fi network at any time.

To change your Portal's Wi-Fi network:

1. From Home on your Portal, tap Settings.
  2. Tap Wi-Fi.
  3. Select the network you'd like to connect to, enter your Wi-Fi password, and tap Join.

How do I turn the camera and microphone off on my Portal?
To mute or unmute the camera and microphone using the touchscreen during a call:

1. Tap the screen to expose the call menu.
  2. Tap
    45172574_934926260047185_4887098687454445568_n.png
    or
    45220971_327485928051505_6747955919134392320_n.png
    to mute or unmute your camera or microphone.

To mute or unmute the camera and microphone on Portal and Portal Mini:

To turn off the camera or microphone, slide the switch on top of Portal’s frame all the way to the left. A red light lets you know the camera and microphone are both off.

To turn off just the camera, slide the switch on top of Portal’s frame into the middle position. You will see a shutter covering the camera’s lens when you’ve turned the camera off.

To mute or unmute the camera and microphone on Portal+ and Portal (Gen 1):

To turn the camera and microphone off on your Portal, press the circle button on top of your device. A red light on the front of your Portal will indicate when the microphone and camera are turned off.

You can also use the included camera cover to block your Portal camera when you're not using the camera.

How do I put my Portal in sleep mode?
You can put your Portal in “sleep” mode, which turns the screen off, but allows your Portal to be woken up by touch, voice commands, motion detection or incoming calls. Your Portal will go to sleep automatically after 15 minutes without use, or you can make your Portal sleep manually.

To make your Portal sleep:
  1. Swipe up from the bottom of your Portal screen to view the Quick Controls.
  2. Tap
    assets