Xbox emulator: the source code of the original Xbox and Windows NT 3.5 on the run

Celine2020

In all likelihood, the source code for Microsoft's very first Xbox has been released online, along with code for a version of Windows NT 3.5. The Xbox source code includes the operating system kernel on the original console, a customized version of Windows 2000. According to TheVerge , this is indeed authentic source code.

Xbox emulator: the source code of the original Xbox and Windows NT 3.5 on the run

The source code for the first Xbox in the wild
We are aware of this information and are investigating.
A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed that investigations are underway into the matter. But although the leak of the Xbox OS includes some build environments, the development kit or the emulators used for tests and internal documents, the code would have already circulated in private circles before. This means that it is unlikely to help homebrews and emulators for original Xbox games any further.

Towards better Xbox emulators?
There are a number of emulators for the Xbox, including CXBX, XQEMU, and CXBX Reloaded, but most have struggled to properly emulate the original Xbox operating system and kernel. Microsoft developed the first Xbox with x86 hardware in mind, but the Xbox kernel was based on a lightweight, custom version of Windows 2000 with support for DirectX 8.

This kernel tried to be reproduced for years by enthusiasts but for the moment, only about forty Xbox games are correctly emulated while almost 900 Xbox games were released at the time. It's hard to say if this leak will delight fans looking for a better Xbox emulator in the future since it is likely that development enthusiasts have already had access to this data for a while.

In addition, the source code for an almost final version of Windows NT 3.5 also appeared online. It includes the necessary tools but does not represent a huge risk since this operating system remains very little used today, and has not been supported for almost 20 years.

JerryUStall

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this, and I can't wait to see what the community does with this newfound knowledge. If anyone has any insights or cool projects related to this, I'd love to hear more about it. Also, if you could share some info on how to get involved, that would be awesome!

EmmuTheNord

I remember the good ol' days when the Xbox was all the rage. It's a nostalgic trip down memory lane for sure. I read about this on TheVerge, and it's awesome to hear that it's the real deal. The fact that it includes the OS kernel from the original Xbox, which was a customized version of Windows 2000, just blows my mind. But to use, you may also need new windows 10 key. This will ensure faster operation I believe. I'm new here on the forum, so I'm really looking forward to diving into all these cool discussions. If anyone has any tips or stories to share about their experiences with Xbox or Windows NT 3.5, I'd love to hear them!

Last edited: