BenQ TH685 projector review: making 200-inch games possible

Venus

How is BenQ TH685 projector? The most obvious label for this PJ is "Gaming" for its high reresh rate. For the host party, in addition to a host with excellent performance, excellent display equipment is also essential. However, due to the constraints of their environment and economic capabilities, players also have a variety of display equipment. Monitors, televisions, and also projectors. Due to the constraints of hardware conditions, the projector has a "congenital disadvantage" of delay and low refresh rate when playing games. This DLP 1080P projector at $799 is not without interest in this area.

BenQ TH685 Projector Review: PRESENTATION

The BenQ TH685 and BenQ TH585 are part of this new generation of DLP projectors equipped with a DMD 0.47 chip from Texas Instrument but without 4K simulation. However, they are UHD and 4K HDR compatible but by reverse scaling, ie all incoming signals higher than the native resolution of the projector (1920 × 1080) will be “reduced” to this corresponding format. at Full HD.

Acer and Optoma have been pioneers in this area; this choice allows to offer 4K HDR backwards compatible front diffusers for less than $800

BenQ TH685 projector review: Features

1592180320246.png

For the part dedicated to video games, BenQ TH685 has integrated a specific “Game” mode intended to allow playing at 120Hz with an input lag announced at 8.3 ms for this rate and 16.6 ms at 60Hz. The BenQ TH685 is 4K HDR-10 and HLG compatible. It also supports 3D DLP-Link signals (glasses must be purchased separately).

BenQ TH685 Input
BenQ TH685 projector includes 2 HDMI 2.0 HDCP sockets, 1 USB-A socket, 1 D-Sub input and 1 output, 1 audio input and 1 output via 3.5 mm mini-jack and 1 RS232. A speaker with a power of 5W is also present. The small white remote control has no lighting.

BenQ TH685 Review: TECHNICAL VERDICT

BenQ TH685 Operating noise:

With the lamp at full power (" normal " mode ) I measured a good 40dB but as the BenQ TH685 is very bright you will mainly use the economic mode which is much more discreet with its 32db.

BenQ TH685 Sharpness

BenQ TH685 Sharpness

Having received the BenQ TK850 and the TH685 simultaneously , it was easy for me to compare the two in the area of image accuracy. The observation is clear: While with the active 4K simulation processing, the BenQ TK850 produces an image with chromatic aberrations, the small BenQ TH685 does much better and projects more precise letters and numbers with much better drawn outlines. This feature shows once again that Full HD has not said its last word in front of these 4k dummies.

BenQ TK850 vs. BenQ TH68: Sharpness Comparison

BenQ's small Gaming projector is also less affected by chromatic aberrations than the model above $1,599. In other words, when it comes to image accuracy, it's a bit much "spend more to lose more"

BenQ TH685 Fluidity:

The processing of 24p sources is optimum and the TH685 really does not need an image interpolation device because it is clean and without judder.

BenQ TH685 Input lag:

I'm sorry, it borders on the gag but despite all my efforts and my 3 input lag measurement probes (two 1080p and one 4K) it was impossible for me to measure the delay in the display. The projector detects the signals sent to its HDMI sockets but does not display the corresponding test patterns. I tried EDID HDMI without more success. I am therefore unable to confirm or deny the manufacturer's announcements in this area ... But I can provide gamers with a pizza recipe to use their tomatoes!

BenQ TH685 Overscan, light frame chip 0.47

If the overscan target demonstrates that no cropping is applied to the image by the video processing internal to the BenQ TH685 projector, I unfortunately quickly noticed the presence of the typical light frame with the first generation DMD 0.47 chip. The deplorable livid band has a width of 7 centimeters on all sides of the image. To make it disappear in the black amounts of my screen I had to reduce the useful size of the image. In my eyes this is the biggest flaw of this projector ... it makes us return to a past that we thought was over. As for the contrast and brightness, you can see the other report in this forum.

Last edited:

Stefani

thx for the review:) The only place where 4K seems essential to me is for PC monitors and any screen that we look at within 1.20 m. In HC projection the increase in resolution is pleasant but in my opinion less decisive than the color space, the brightness, the sharpness, the operating noise, etc.