Davis Acoustics Balthus 70 Review: the sound is unexpectedly good

Leonord D

If you are a Hi-Fi enthusiast, you must be familiar with French audio. In terms of high-end audio equipment, many popular Hi-End brands have emerged in France. Davis Acoustics is also an old French stereo. In the Balthus series, Balthus 70 is positioned second only to the highest-ranking Balthus 90. Except for certain performance and unit size specifications, the technology application is basically the same as that of Balthus 90.

Davis Acoustics Balthus 70 configuration

Davis Acoustics is most proud of its Kevlar bulletproof fabric fiber unit. Balthus 70 uses a 5-inch Kevlar bulletproof fabric fiber midrange unit. It is understood that the tweeters of the Balthus series are all handmade in Troyes, France. Officials call it the super-ventilated tweeter, which is characterized by high frequencies up to 20khz.

For the bass unit, Balthus70 uses two 6.5-inch rubber-edged paper cone woofers. The advantages of the paper cone are light material, high sensitivity, and easy to drive. The speed of low frequency restoration is relatively fast, and it is easy to get the ideal bass. Many bass units of top Hi-Fi speakers use paper cone diaphragms.

Davis Acoustics Balthus 70 Review: restore the details of low frequencies, dives deep enough

Talk about the true feelings of Davis Acoustics Balthus 70

After all, listening is the most important. One thing to mention is that Balthus 70's official recommended amplifier power is 130W-200W, so you need to pay special attention when matching the amplifier. In my opinion, matching the amplifier with the speaker is a troublesome but interesting thing. The trouble is If you want to play the full strength of the speaker, you need to choose the power amplifier according to the performance requirements and sound style of the speaker. What is interesting is that different power amplifier combinations often bring some differences in listening sense. This is where the fun of playing audio is.

During the audition, I chose to use two power amplifiers to match it, one is a combined power amplifier with a lower drive power and only 38W output power, and the other is a pure Class A power amplifier. Under a 4Ω load, the output is The power is 480W. Maybe some friends are puzzled, why use a small amplifier to drive Balthus 70? In fact, there is no special reason. It is purely playful psychology. I really want to know how the Balthus 70 will reproduce the sound when it is equipped with a low-power amplifier.

To be honest, Balthus 70 paired with this "small pipe" amplifier, the sound was unexpectedly good. Before the audition, someone told me that the Davis Acoustics speakers belong to the type with high resolution. I am somewhat impressed. It never occurred to me that such a low-power amplifier can restore the high resolution of the Balthus 70 vividly. Take the live performance version of "Radesky March", of course, the requirements of the multi-instrument ensemble for the speaker is to restore the sound of each instrument as much as possible. Balthus 70 has such a capability and it is easy to distinguish the sound of different instrumental music.

When changing to another 480W power amplifier, the most obvious improvement is the bass part. The small amplifier can hear some bass dives when driving the Balthus 70, but the low frequency strength and sense of volume are lacking. After listening to the BladeRunner 2049 theme song it is especially obvious. The song belongs to electronic music. There is too much drum sound and dynamic. The feeling of pushing the whole with a high-power amplifier is different. The strength of the low frequency comes out, and more low-frequency details are restored. It sounds more flexible and rich.

After listening to too many pieces of music, Balthus 70 gave me the feeling that this speaker does not emphasize the rich sense of volume and strong strength. On the contrary, it is more about restoring the details of low frequencies, dives deep enough, and it is typical of Hi-Fi taste. Of course, this evaluation is not only due to the low frequency part. It is also worth mentioning that the Balthus 70 also has an open sound field and a transparent female voice when use Balthus 70 to listen to a soprano song such as Florence Welch with amazing vital capacity. Believe me, you will definitely feel the strong penetration and emotional resonance in her voice. The singer's strength is of course one aspect, Balthus 70's restoration is indispensable.

The open sound field of Balthus 70 is very suitable for listening to live music, such as concerts, chamber symphonies, jazz, etc. If you like this sound style, don't miss it, go and listen to it!

Davis Acoustics Balthus 70 basic technical parameters:
Type: 3-way 4-unit floor-mounted guide speaker
Tweeter: 1 inch soft dome unit
Midrange unit: 5 inch kevlar bulletproof fabric weaving unit
Bass unit: 6.5 inch cellulose unit
Frequency response range: 40Hz-20kHz (±3dB)
Nominal impedance: 4Ω-8Ω
Power range: 130-200W
Sensitivity: 92dB
Size (width×depth×height): 190×300×1020mm
Weight: 18.8kg
Room size: 20 to 30 square meters
Price: 1099 Euro