HDMI 2.1 Unmasked: Sellers' Next Generation Fraud Exposed!

tvgeek

Does it support HDMI 2.1? This might be the most common question be asked before purchasing TVs, projectors and all kinds of monitors in 2020. What is HDMI 2.1? I noticed some members have already done the introduction (you can get the info of HDMI 2.1 below). In short, the HDMI 2.1 has new features and a lot more bandwidth to connection. you can check it here:

However, if you ask me whether to upgrade hdmi2.1? I'd say NO.

NO you do NOT need HDMI 2.1
for eARC, ALLM, or VRR. All of those can be baked into HDMI 2.0b IF your TV AND your SOURCE supports those features. It's going to be many years before you'll see it on the average television.

Why you should not choose HDMI 2.1 now?

There are TWO CORE REASONS:
  1. No Current AVR supports HDMI 2.1 at this time.
  2. No current SOURCE supports HDMI 2.1.

When the PS5 of XBSX comes out do you really think every single game will support full 4k@120? HELL NO! Most AAA titles will not.

Next if you are about HDMI 2.1 then my advice is DON'T BUY A TV RIGHT NOW! Wait for 2021 (or for Vizio & TCL to at least announce their 2020 Lineups supposedly both will support HDMI 2.1) and the 3rd year (2nd year of actual adoption besides mostly flagships)

TLDR: Shit or get off the toilet and back in line with HDMI 2.1.

Just bare in mind that not all TV's that claim HDMI 2.1 will fully support HDMI 2.1. For them to slap a HDMI 2.1 logo or advertisement on their box or specifications they only have to support some features of HDMI 2.1.

Also please make sure your cable is CERTIFIED - HDMI Forum debuts mandatory certification of cables for HDMI 2.1 Spoiler - none have been certified yet!

Current List of TV's that Support HDMI 2.1 and are not Garbage (I'm looking at you nAnOcElL & edge lit QLED's)
  • LG B9 (Discontinued)
  • LG C9 (Discontinued)
  • LG E9 (Discontinued)
  • LG BX
  • LG CX
  • LG GX
  • LG RX
  • Samsung Q90T
  • Samsung Q80T
  • Sony X900H

Bread Pitt

Is HDMI 2.1 backward compatible? Can my HDMI 2.0b devices be firmware upgraded to HDMI 2.1?

In theory, this is possible, but it is highly unlikely. Jeff Park, director of technology at HDMI LA, informed us that while there are premium chips out there which can be firmware upgraded, they are extremely expensive and rarely used by manufacturers. Chances are, your existing HDMI 2.0b devices don’t have one of those rare chipsets built into them.

And You will be able to connect any HDMI-enabled device supporting any older version of the HDMI standard, and it will work just fine on a new HDMI 2.1-enabled TV or display.