Installing Android TV on Panasonic TV TX-58DX780

msoutopico

Hi there,

I have inherited a Panasonic TV model TX-58DX780 which I believe is from year 2016. The operating system is Firefox OS, which is discontinued. The app market is pretty limited, obviously.

I would like to know whether it's possible to install Android TV in this device, so as to erase the original Firefox OS and having the same system as I would have if I bought a TV today running Android TV. I haven't found any references online about how to do this in my specific device.

This is my first smart TV. I have installed Linux from scratch in some computers over the years, but I'm not a developer and I have no clue about TVs. I'm assuming the process can be similar: booting the TV from a USB drive containing the new OS to be installed.

A second question is whether this is actually worthy: if it's going to be a can of worms, perhaps I'll be better off with just buying a Chromecast? My purpose is not to experiment, but to have a TV with a OS that I can use to install modern apps.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Cheers, Manuel

Billy889

It is not possible to install Android TV on a Panasonic TV, including the TX-58DX780 model, as it runs on Panasonic's proprietary operating system. However, you can connect an external streaming device such as a Google Chromecast or a Fire TV Stick to your TV to access Android TV features and applications.

Pikak

To install Android TV on your Panasonic TV TX-58DX780, you will need to use an external device such as an Android TV box or a streaming stick that supports Android TV. Connect the device to your TV via HDMI, and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to set up the device and install Android TV.

It's important to note that installing Android TV on a TV that doesn't support it natively may not be possible or may result in compatibility issues. Additionally, installing unofficial software on your TV can void your warranty and may also carry security risks. Therefore, it's important to do thorough research and exercise caution when attempting to install Android TV or any other unofficial software on your TV.