MartinLogan ESL 15A review sold me on the panel, worried me about the seats

JimmyBox

Member
Read through the Renaissance ESL 15A review and the engineering still fascinates me. A 15 inch wide curvilinear electrostatic panel running from 300Hz all the way up with no crossover in the middle of the vocal range, roughly 690 square inches of radiating area, and a diaphragm quoted at 0.00048 inches, about an eighth the thickness of a hair. Below that it hands off to two 12 inch aluminum woofers covering 22 to 300Hz, each with its own 500 watt amp and its own enclosure, run by a DSP with Anthem room correction available. One power cord for the whole thing, which is a small mercy on a speaker that needs the panel energized.

It sits second from the top of the Masterpiece line, which runs from the $7,500 ESL 9 up to the $120,000 Neolith. No price for the 15A in what I read, so I am not going to guess at it.

Here is my hesitation, and it is a home cinema specific one. Everything that makes a big electrostatic magical for one listener works against a room with three seats across. The panel is deliberately controlled in its dispersion, so the person in the middle gets something the people on the ends do not, and a dipole wants real distance behind it, which fights with wherever your screen and center channel want to live. MartinLogan sells centers for exactly this reason, but a panel center under a screen is its own compromise.

Anyone running big MartinLogan panels in an actual multi seat theater rather than a two channel room? Did you end up treating the front wall behind them, and how bad is the falloff off axis in practice?
 

Felia

Member
Ran Summit X for years in a room that doubled as a theater. Off axis is not as brutal as people claim for movies, but you do notice dialogue thinning out at the ends of the couch.
 

Sunny

Member
The 22 to 300Hz on dual 12s with dedicated amps is the part people skip past. That is a proper active bass section, not a token woofer bolted to a panel.
 

Bobwang

Member
Dipole plus a rear wall you cannot move is how you end up with a suckout you will never EQ away. Measure before you buy at this level.
 
Every time I hear panels I want them, and every time I remember I would have to move my whole front stage forward by two feet and I stop wanting them.
 
Top