Optoma UHD52ALV 4K Projector Complete Test: Color, contrast and brightness

EmmaStone

Optoma UHD52ALV 4K Projector uses 1920 × 1080 points (Full HD resolution). This active part will be shifted at high speed 4 times so as to be able to obtain a UHD resolution of 3860 × 2160. So it is by no means a native UHD or 4K resolution but a simulation, as for all its competitors. The 4K target displays its white rectangle at the edges furthest from the center of the image. This characteristic makes it possible to observe that the video processing internal to the projector does not cut out parts of the work that you are projecting.

Overscan Optoma UHD52ALV
Optoma UHD52ALV 4K Projector
Color / contrast and brightness:

Out of the box, the best results are obtained with the cinema selection which offers a color temperature of 6257K with a deltaE difference of 6.15 and a gamma of 2.2 although linear.
  • CIE cinema out of the box Optoma UHD52LVA
  • CMS advanced cinema out of the box Optoma UHD52LVA
  • RGB Gamma Cinema out of the box Optoma UHD52LVA
The native Gamut of the projector displays only 94.3% of the HDTV reference; it's way too small for a projector supposed to broadcast 4K HDR.

A DLP like this is not capable of producing a wide range of colors as we can see in the results, it actually follows a Gamut lower than Rec.709, the fault of its color wheel with white segment and the use of a UHP lamp.

It does not have automapping to play HDR content. It is only HDR compatible insofar as it takes this type of source and displays it within the limits of its capacities. Unfortunately the result is far from impressive.

After calibration I reduced the deltaE difference to 2.44 (that's perfect because below 3 the human eye cannot perceive the difference).

CIE post calibration Optoma UHD52LVA

Advanced post calibration CMS Optoma UHD52LVA

RGB Gamma post calibration Optoma UHD52LVA
Post-calibration settings:

User mode

Gamma 2.2

Color range: cinema

Red Gain: 1

Green gain: 0

Blue gain: 2

Red trend: - 1

Green trend: 0

Blue trend: 0

Under these conditions the Optoma UHD52ALV delivers 1978 lumens in high lamp mode and 1285 in low lamp mode. It is capable of illuminating an image with 26 fL 4K HDR 16/9 th base of 3m60 (high lamp). The large image sizes do not scare him.

The light mode approaches 3500 lumens promised by the manufacturer (3092 measured) but with a greenish tint which makes its image unusable in home cinema.

The native contrast of the projector is 879: 1 after calibration and the activation of dynamic mode has little influence on this factor. The Optoma UHD51 was more comfortable in this area.

I was not thrilled by the 1080P SRD image and even less 4K HDR of the Optoma UHD52ALV. These are two elements that are primarily responsible for it. The first is what I will call soft image syndrome, a shame for a mono-DLP projector whose sharpness is supposed to be the strong point.

By placing it next to a laser projector like the Xiaomi ALPD3.0 , a DLP 1080P only 4K compatible but with superb optics, the colors of the Optoma appear washed out on a 4K HDR film like 1917 and what about the sharpness , clearly set back between the two models. It's the classic 1080P projector that provides the most compelling 4K HDR experience.

The second is the choice of a color wheel with a white segment and is, in my opinion, a strategic error for the high-end of the manufacturer's home theater lamp projectors. The general record is affected. This projector will be more comfortable to screen a football match than the last Harry Potter.

The UHD52ALV is a versatile projector suitable for living rooms and it adds some interesting functions like image interpolation for those who watch sports, and a dynamic iris to improve the contrast. It offers good colorimetry right out of the box and very good accuracy when calibrated with SDR content. The blacks are however dark gray, the dark scenes suffer from the lack of details; it will be necessary to think of combining it with a technical screen.

CONCLUSION

After these few days spent in the company of the UHD52ALV , I come out with the impression of an unfinalized device whose firmware must be reviewed to correct, on the one hand, the problems of sharpness and, on the other hand , the absence of image interpolation with RGB signals.

If the work on colorimetry is notable and to be welcomed, I regret the choice of the color wheel change which results in a Gamut lower than rec.709 by not allowing 4K HDR signals to be reproduced in good conditions.

At 1799 €, I can only advise the manufacturer to review its copy by proposing a software update that would correct the faults noted.

To end on a positive note, we welcome the discretion of the projector operation, the reduction of pollution of the light frame and above all exemplary fluidity. The Optoma UHD52ALV has good potential but needs to be reworked.

Optoma UHD52ALV 4K Projector Pros :
  • Operating discretion,
  • The fluidity,
  • Light power,
  • Colorimetry at the exit of the box.
Optoma UHD52ALV 4K Projector Cons :
  • An image far too sweet for a DLP,
  • A projector whose Gamut is unsuitable for 4K HDR,
  • The RGB bug for image interpolation,
  • Contrasting contraction facing the UHD51 .

I thought about it, but I don't already have a fantastic contrast with my HD27Be (it must be in around 800), and the LG is really much lower with its 500. I would like a contrast at least equal , even without having a champion of the field.

Nike Kidman

Yes I am in the same situation.
Difficult to find a replacement for my old Samsung sp-a600 and its native contrast 2000: 1.
I would have to turn to DMD 0.67 chips with dynamic contrast to get better.
The optoma UHD65 is at 2500, and by negotiating you may be able to get closer to your price range