Maypug vs Thunrlge vs AuKing mini projectors - the $52 one has 7990 ratings and I don't trust it

My sister asked me to find a projector for my nephew's room, budget around fifty bucks, and I fell down a rabbit hole I haven't climbed out of. Three listings, all within three dollars of each other, all claiming things that cannot possibly be true at this price. I want to lay out what I actually found before I hand her a link.

The Maypug is $51.99, 4.4 stars from 7990 ratings, and the listing says 1080P with 4K support. At fifty-two dollars. The only thing that cheap 4K means is that the input chip will accept a 4K signal and spit out a downscaled image. The panel is not 4K, and I'd bet a kidney it isn't native 1080p either. The one genuinely interesting line in the bullets is the built-in apps claim, preloaded YouTube and Prime Video, which would mean you don't need a streaming stick. That's a real convenience if the apps actually work and aren't just a rebadged Android shell with no updates. 7990 ratings at 4.4 is a lot of volume, and volume on cheap electronics usually reflects how many units shipped, not how many people were happy after six months.

The Thunrlge is $53.99, 4.3 stars from 439 ratings, and it's the one I understand least. WiFi 6 and BT 5.4 on a fifty-four dollar projector is a spec sheet flex that tells you nothing about the picture. The bullet points are literally duplicated in the listing, word for word, which is the kind of thing that happens when nobody proofreads the copy. It also says built-in app in the title, then the first bullet talks about direct projection from iPhone and Android, which is mirroring, not apps. Those are different things and the listing uses them interchangeably. 439 ratings is thin compared to the other two, so I'd treat the 4.3 as less settled.

The AuKing is $54.98 with 20757 ratings at 4.3, and it's the odd one out because it doesn't promise 4K or apps. It just says Full HD 1080P supported and HDMI/USB/phone/TV box/laptop. The title says 2026 Upgraded while the bullet says 2025 Upgraded, which is sloppy, but the pitch itself is honest-ish about being a basic input projector. Twenty thousand ratings at 4.3 is the most statistically meaningful number in this whole comparison. It also means you're buying the most boring option, which for a kid's bedroom might be exactly right.

If it were my money and my nephew, I'd take the AuKing. Not because it's better on paper, but because it makes the fewest promises it can't keep, and the rating sample is large enough to mean something. The Maypug is tempting if the built-in apps genuinely work, since that saves buying a Fire Stick, but I can't verify that from the listing and the 4K claim already told me the copy is loose with facts. The Thunrlge I'd skip purely because I can't tell what it actually does.

What I can't figure out from any of these listings is throw distance and brightness, neither of which is listed on any of the three. Has anyone actually run one of these at around eight feet in a room with a lamp on? That's the only question that decides this for me.

What the listings say (as of Oct 06)
SpecMaypug StoreThunrlgeAuKing Store
Price$51.99$53.99$54.98
Amazon rating4.4 (7990 ratings)4.3 (439 ratings)4.3 (20757 ratings)
Bestseller rank#11#14#10
 
Fifty-two bucks still feels steep for these. My nephew's got a similar no-name unit and the "preloaded apps" were laggy bloatware he never used. At that price I'd rather grab a used Epson off Marketplace.
 
We looked at the AuKing too, but the one my sister ended up keeping was a Groview JQ818C, usually around $60 with a coupon. Native 1080p, no fake 4K claims. Worth stretching the budget a bit.
 
Top