TV series on disc is the one part of physical media I have not given up

Serah598

Member
Sound & Vision put out a late-summer roundup of 4K and Blu-ray TV series box sets, and it reminded me that series collections are the last physical purchases I make without hesitating. Films I'll rent, stream, whatever. A show I know I'll rewatch across a decade, I want on a shelf.

The reason isn't picture quality snobbery, it's availability. Over the last few years I've watched shows get pulled from services for tax write-offs, get re-encoded to a lower bitrate during a platform migration, or get quietly replaced with a version that has different music because a licence lapsed. A disc doesn't do any of that. Whatever was pressed is what stays pressed.

Where I'd push back on the usual argument is the assumption that discs automatically look better. For older series it depends entirely on what was scanned. Plenty of 1990s shows were finished on tape, and a Blu-ray of a tape master is a Blu-ray of a tape master. Some sets are genuine film rescans with proper grain retained, and those are worth every penny. Others are upscales in a nicer box. The roundup doesn't get into which is which, and that's the information that actually decides whether a set is worth 80 quid or not.

So the question I keep coming back to before buying any series set: was it rescanned, and at what resolution? If anyone here has a reliable way of finding that out before ordering, short of waiting for a capture comparison to appear somewhere, I'd genuinely like to know. I've been burned twice now.
 
Top