What made PS2 the best game console by sales of all time?

EmmaStone

If I have to choose one of the most classic game consoles, I will not hesitate to say its name-PlayStation 2.
Some time ago, Sony launched the PlayStation 5, although the release date and price information are still unknown, but this does not affect players' attention and expectations for PlayStation 5. Considering the popularity of the new machine, I brought a classic Playstation console recently. This time let us recall the most classic model of the PlayStation series in most people's hearts-the PlayStation 2.

PS2: The most successful game console in history

According to statistics from third-party organizations, PS2 is the highest-selling game console in history. As of May 25, 2020, PS2 sales reached 158 million units, followed by Nintendo DS with a cumulative sales of 154 million units, and the third place is GameBoy. The first generation of the model, which is commonly known as the "brick" by the player, has a relatively large sales gap with the top two, "only" 118 million units. It is not difficult to see from this data that the classic status of PS2 is almost unshakable. PS4 is now at the end of its life cycle, and sales are only 109 million units. It seems not an exaggeration to take PS2 as the most successful game console in history.

Quote from: VGchartz

The entire update track of PS2 is somewhat similar to PS4. In the later period, the "slim" version was launched, but "PS2 slim" is not specifically marked on the name, only the model number is distinguished.

The PS2 model I picked is-SCPH-50004. It is said that this model is not a hot-selling version. Its first two digits represent the version of the machine (small modification), and the last digit represents the sales area. At that time, the US and Japanese versions were more popular, but other regional versions of the machine also have advantages, that is, the input voltage is 200-240V, which can be used directly in Asian. If you buy the US or Japanese version, also A bulky inverter is required.

Perhaps it was the reason for the relatively short stature at that time. When I first got this PS2, I felt that its size was not as big as it was. Even if compared with the PS4, there seems to be no big gap, although the PS4 body is more Thin, but heavier. Whether the PS2 should be placed horizontally or vertically has always been a puzzle to me. Almost no one in the impression is placed vertically. It may be because it is too much like a heater and it is easy for the elderly to clean up the house. In my impression, PS2 also has official bracket accessories, just to make the console more stable when placed vertically.

At that time, Sony had already played the limited color set quite skillfully. In fact, the limited models at that time were not as sincere as they are today. They just changed a color. The common colors were limited to ceramic white, gouache, blue, various transparent colors, and so on. To be reasonable, most people should be purchased by their parents, so it is highly likely that they will choose the ordinary version of black, after all, it is the cheapest.

The DualShock handle that hasn’t changed much until now

PS2 has two handle interfaces, and there is a memory card slot above each interface. Because there was no built-in hard disk and storage space for the body at that time, the memory card became a necessity. Use it to store some relevant information such as game records. . This setting actually restores the feeling of arcade, but the domestic friends may have less contact. If you have a lot of game disks, the memory card is really easy to fill up. If you don’t want to organize and archive frequently, you have to buy a large-capacity memory card, and because of Sony’s usual non-universal standards, it has properly harvested a wave. Where there is profit, there will be profiteers. There must be many friends who buy memory cards. They are fooled by the blackhearted boss. As a result, they bought an assembly card, and they will be able to use it if they have good luck.

The algebra of the Sony PlayStation series console and the DualShock controller are corresponding, that is to say, the DualShock 2 controller is used on the PS2. Despite the wireless connection and touchpad design of the DualShock 4 controller, the entire PlayStation series console's controller has almost no major changes (PS5's controller has only changed its design style). For most players, the PS2 controller is definitely a "consumable" like existence, because it is really too easy to go wrong, it is not difficult to use a controller in a month. On the other hand, just like the memory cards mentioned above, there are many imitations of PS2 accessories on the market, which are easy to be fooled or dropped by profiteers.

The success of a game console is by no means merely eye-catching or powerful, but a pure game experience is the core competitiveness. In addition to many classic games, PS2 also has a lot of exclusive games, the most famous of which are Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, God of War, GT Racing, Nordic Goddess, etc. Fans of these exclusive game IPs should also become loyal fans of the PlayStation series, which is one of the reasons why PlayStation 2 can be successful.

Last edited:
In fact, the quality and price of this PS2 console are not competitive. What really impressed me is this package of game discs.

6a914bbb884408bcf627064a2e92ba79.jpg