Why YouTube TV raise price at $64.99? What channels are added?

Xmint

According to media reports, YouTube TV announced that the company will begin to provide 8 ViacomCBS channels, for which it will increase the monthly fee from US$50 to US$64.99. It is reported that these channels are available now, they are BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land and VH1.

The new price will take effect today (June 31 local time), and users will see it in the next billing cycle (on or after July 30).

1593563084607.png

The price increase of $15 marks the latest price increase on YouTube TV. When it was first launched, the monthly fee was only $35. In early 2018, with the addition of Turner TV networks (including TBS, TNT, CNN, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, truTV, and Turner Classic Movies), the service fee was increased to $40 per month for the first time. In 2019, YouTube TV added Discovery (Discovery Channel) network lineup, so the fee was raised again to $50/month. Now, with the aforementioned ViacomCBS channel, its price has ushered in its biggest adjustment, reaching $64.99/month.

Why YouTube TV increase monthly fee at $64.99? What channels are added?

According to the initial announcement of the new channel, YouTube TV will also receive BET Her, MTV2, Nick Jr., NickToons, TeenNick and MTV Classic in the future, but they are not in today's release.

In contrast, Hulu’s Live TV package costs only $54.99 (this price is alpine Hulu’s content library, but there is no unlimited DVR storage provided by YouTube TV), and the starting price of AT&T TV is $55/month. Sling TV’s The full package cost is $45 per month. Although there may be some concerns that YouTube TV is close to the cost of the actual TV network, Google’s service has some advantages, such as simple access through any networked device, and only a low threshold when it comes to additional hardware. And a better and better UI than almost any cable TV set-top box.

Xmint

With the price hike, YouTube TV is now more expensive than its two main competitors: Hulu + Live TV and Sling TV.

youtubetv-to-add-channelsincrease-price.jpg

YouTubePriceHike.png

Tyler123

this should a voluntary upgrade. I don’t want an extra $15 on my bill for networks I’m not really interested in. Might be time for YouTube tv packages

1593564074855.png

XboxSeriesX

Honestly I think all tv should be free but run with ads/commercials, subscriptions should only apply to those who don't want ads an also want to record their shows...

Dramaqueen

Friendly reminder that YouTube TV initially cost $35 when it first launched

More channels have been added since then, sure, but an 86% price increase over ~3 years is insane