sony Sony XBR-55X800G Review: pros and cons, why users not recommend it

Amnesia

Sony XBR-55X800G has a low cost performance, and the configuration and picture quality are relatively mediocre. Ordinary mid-end machine grades are not recommended. Sony XBR-55X800G, although with "8" and "G", but without the 8 series' SonyX1 image quality processing chip, 120HZ screen refresh rate.

In Sony TVs "G" means a new model in 2019, in general, a new "G" model often run with Android 8.0 system, new remote control , new voice assistant, support Dolby Vision, performance upgrade (A73 quad core 1.5GHZ, 3GB running memory ), However, Sony XBR-55X800G came up with the configuration of last year, Android 7.0, the old remote control, the old version of the voice assistant, does not support Dolby Vision, and the performance is also the configuration of last year (A53 quad-core 1.5GHZ, 2GB running memory).

Sony XBR-55X800G Review: pros and cons, a low cost performance

Sony XBR-55X800G Pros:
  • good picture quality due to 4K X-Reality PRO
  • Pretty light for a tv this size.
  • Nice remote that has everything and more.
  • Easily set up
  • Well priced considering the features.
Sony XBR-55X800G Review: pros and cons, why users not recommend it

Sony XBR-55X800G Cons:
  • sound quality is not good enough, still needs a sound bar
  • picture from iPad ,iPhone can not mirror
  • Android system can be so slow. Changing channels can take several seconds to happen.
  • Doesn’t work unless it’s plugged in.
  • Bluetooth module is not fully support all Bluetooth devices.
  • there is no browsers like others TV to surf on the internet.
Sony XBR-55X800G Review: pros and cons, why users not recommend it

In a word, Sony XBR-55X800G is a tv being sold as new with an outdated OS - Android TV 8 (10 was released Jan 2020) and Sony has no plans to update it further. That means it's integration with Google assistant is MINIMAL, you can play content from a small handful of services. Power and volume are flaky. Now you can use the remote to talk to the tv and get more done, but IMO that's not the point of a service integration.

Tyler123

I am NOT an Android person, so that feature isn't something I can comment on. This was clearly designed more to be mounted on a wall, but that's not an option for me. So...

Things I really HATE about this (and you probably will too):

- The remote is a brick from 1992 and you have to really mash the buttons down to get them to function.
- Power cord is pretty short. Again, if you mount it on a wall, this won't be an issue.
- Shipping was slow and receiving the broken one was a bit frustrating. Amazon was cool about it though and even sped up the shipping on the replacement. (Bit of advice...CALL customer service, don't chat)

Things I really LIKE about this:
- Setup was pretty easy and not overwhelming (unpack it carefully - the metal base stands come in two parts each and are not packaged together in the box)
- Picture quality is amazing. I use the new 4K Firestick with it and everything is clear and crisp.
- My two cats never paid any attention to the old plasma television, but this one...they were fixated when NatGeo Wild was on...it was hilarious, but also says something about the quality and size.

Overall, I am pleased with this item and would recommend it. Yeah, there are better options out there, but this one is a good value for the price from a well-known brand.

radiogaga

The TV can't be used without accepting a Google User Agreement. I'm a loyal Sony customer... this was my 3rd TV in a row, and i've bought more products from them, but no more. There's no way to get the TV to function without accepting terms from Google, including giving them permission to upload, review, and store audio taken from the microphone on the remote control. Facing a restocking fee to return. Very unhappy with all parties involved.