Will this Yamaha be enough in my new house?

Hey all,

I'm at a stage where I'm about to set up my old amp and speakers in our new house but I'm concerned it won't be enough.

I have a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE which I've only ever used with a pair MA Radius 90HD and matching sub. In the old house this was in the living room which was a decent size but they sometimes felt a bit lost.

The new house will see this in the kitchen/diner as we tend to live in there for the most part. It'll be used for music only, the room is about 10 feet by 30 feet and house is timber frame construction with a laminate type floor (if you've heard or karndean then it's like that!).

I don't have a lot of money, and I like the fact that the 90s are unobtrusive. So really, i'm looking for a good set of speakers, that don't look too in your face, but can handle a big room, are black/darkish wood, and can be had second hand or on deal....not too much to ask is it?

15840271370636555023259434047822.jpg

Last edited:

Xmint

I'd set it all up first then decide if new speakers are needed. That Yamaha receiver has a bewildering array of DSP sound-altering options. I think it would need a good few weeks of tinkering with these DSP options before drawing conclusions as to the need for new speakers, or not.

However, I appreciate the MA Radius 90 satellite speakers are tiny and of low sensitivity so maximum volume will be limited in a large-ish room. I've not heard any Dali speakers or recent Yamaha amps but from what I've read, the lively Dali's should be a good match for Yamaha amps which often veer towards the smooth/warm/soft side of neutral - though I doubt it's particularly pronounced.

The Dali Spektor 1 is very similar in many ways to the MA Radius 90 (i.e. very small and insensitive) so will likely suffer similar limited volume issues. I'd go for a slightly larger speaker, maybe the Dali Spektor 2 though this is also a low efficiency design. How about another lively speaker that's cheaper than either of the Dali speakers, Mission LX2. Should also be a good sonic match for the amp's sound and, according to reviews, offers a big sound. Mission's specs. for their LX-2 state a higher sensitivity than the Dali's too.

I'd set it all up first then decide if new speakers are needed. That Yamaha receiver has a bewildering array of DSP sound-altering options. I think it would need a good few weeks of tinkering with these DSP options before drawing conclusions as to the need for new speakers, or not.

However, I appreciate the MA Radius 90 satellite speakers are tiny and of low sensitivity so maximum volume will be limited in a large-ish room. I've not heard any Dali speakers or recent Yamaha amps but from what I've read, the lively Dali's should be a good match for Yamaha amps which often veer towards the smooth/warm/soft side of neutral - though I doubt it's particularly pronounced.

The Dali Spektor 1 is very similar in many ways to the MA Radius 90 (i.e. very small and insensitive) so will likely suffer similar limited volume issues. I'd go for a slightly larger speaker, maybe the Dali Spektor 2 though this is also a low efficiency design. How about another lively speaker that's cheaper than either of the Dali speakers, Mission LX2. Should also be a good sonic match for the amp's sound and, according to reviews, offers a big sound. Mission's specs. for their LX-2 state a higher sensitivity than the Dali's too.
Thanks! I don't know a great deal of what I'm looking for to be honest. I'd consider a new amp as well providing it didn't break budget as the Yamaha is pretty massive and I think 7 channel, which is a bit overkill.

I'd like to be able to hook up another set of 'fronts' so I like that the Yamaha has A and B selector, and I'd need a pre out for a sub, plus a phono in for connecting phone etc.

Speakers first I guess!