A 4,500 pound cut on the Bravia Projector 8 - refresh coming or optimistic pricing?

cruets620

New member
Richer Sounds has the Sony Bravia Projector 8, the VPL-XW6100ES, down from 15,999 to 11,499 pounds. That's a 4,500 pound saving on a projector that won a What Hi-Fi award in the over-10,000 category, and it's roughly 30 per cent off a machine that hasn't been on sale that long. You need to be a Richer Sounds VIP to get it, which is free, so effectively it's the price now.

Two readings. Either Sony has something new coming and the channel is clearing stock, or the original number was never what anyone was really paying. A cut of that size on a flagship rarely happens because a retailer felt generous. I lean towards the first, though I'd be happy to be wrong for anyone who's been saving.

On the machine itself, the numbers I like are the physical ones. It's 14kg against 23kg for the JVC DLA-NZ800, and 21 x 46 x 52cm, which matters a lot if you're mounting into a ceiling rather than dropping it on a shelf. Two HDMI 2.1 inputs with 4K/120 and ALLM, and Sony quotes 12ms input lag at 4K/120. That's a manufacturer figure, not a measured one, so treat it accordingly, but even double that is fine for anything short of competitive shooters. The rest is Bravia XR processing with the usual list of named features.

At 11,499 the comparison is still the NZ800 and Sony's own Projector 9 at roughly twice the money. If you've heard anything about a replacement coming this autumn, now would be the moment to say so.
 

Michaelwu

Member
The weight difference is underrated. 14kg goes on a normal ceiling mount by yourself. 23kg means a second person and proper structure, which is a real cost people forget to budget.
 

kihndg

Member
Still eleven and a half grand. At that money I'd want to see it against the NZ800 in the same room on the same screen before committing, and almost nobody gets that chance.
 

radiogaga

Member
12ms is Sony's own figure at 4K/120. Nobody I've seen has measured it independently, so I wouldn't build a gaming room around that number alone.
 
Top