Buy Apple HomePod or not? Listen to the Apple Certified iOS Technician

vivian334

Apple HomePod, a new music product released by Apple at the same time as the iPhone X at the end of 2017. Due to the popularity of the iPhone X at that time, plus the Apple HomePod label hidden on the official website under the Music menu, many people did not even know the existence of the Apple HomePod product. The price of this Apple HomePod "smart speaker" is 350USD, the price is not cheap, many people including myself will question whether Apple HomePod is worth the money?

FAQ
In accordance with established practice, in order to save reading time, I will first list some questions to answer.

Q: How about HomePod sound quality?
A: Comparable with mainstream speakers, Apple HomePod's sound quality is very good

Q: Can I carry HomePod with me?
A: Apple HomePod is not designed to be a portable device. It has no built-in battery and is heavy.

Q: Is Siri in HomePod smart?
A: It's a little smarter than before, but Alexa and Google don't know where it is higher than Siri

Q: Does HomePod support Android devices?
A: No, Apple HomePod can only be used with iOS 11 devices.

Buy Apple HomePod or not

Product Positioning
First of all, HomePod is not a smart speaker. In recent years, both Amazon and Google have launched smart speakers. Apple ’s new product, Apple HomePod, is also expected to be the same type of product to compete with them. However, the fact is that Apple has only classified Apple HomePod under the Music (music) product, and then said that it is integrated with Siri, which can make your listening experience better, and by the way, you can control smart furniture.

Secondly, Apple HomePod is not a Bluetooth speaker. The Bluetooth speaker can hardly be used as an independent device, it must rely on mobile phones or computers to use. As long as the user subscribes to Apple Music, all the music in the Apple Music library can be played directly through the Apple HomePod that has been connected to Wi-Fi (of course, the song must be through Siri). Of course, Apple HomePodalso supports AirPlay, which can act as a Bluetooth speaker, but it has some drawbacks, and will continue to be discussed later.

Apple HomePod is a home music device. Home music equipment, the implication is that it is not a mobile device, like a Bluetooth speaker, you can take it with you, because:
  • Apple HomePod has no built-in battery and must be connected to a power source
  • After the first pairing, Apple HomePod will be connected to the Wi-Fi network where the iPhone is located. When the power is turned off and restarted later, Apple HomePod will only look for this known network, otherwise it will prompt a network connection problem. If you want to reconnect to the new network, either delete the device in the HomeKit app, or long press the top touchpad to reset the Apple HomePod after connecting to the power supply.
  • Apple HomePod can be used as a HomeKit terminal
To be honest, I really do n’t know what the corresponding Apple HomePod is for “movable” speakers with these characteristics, home theater?

In a word, HomePod is a stand-alone home audio device with Siri features and first-class sound quality.