Dangbei X3 Pro review: Best flagship 4K laser projector of the year

SimonK

After the global version of Dangbei Mars Pro was released, people have been looking forward to Dangbei's laser 4K projector. Dangbei X3 Pro is a 4K laser projector with ALPD laser fluorescent light source and 0.47UHDDMD display chip. It has an Android 9.0 intelligent operating system and a built-in Dangbei OS system UI. Let's see the details of the Dangbei X3Pro review now.

Dangbei X3 Pro review design

1. Dangbei X3 Pro Review Appearance Design​

Dangbei X3Pro continues the rectangular design of X3 in appearance, with a size of 246*209*173mm. There is a glass panel on the front and top of the projector, which is full of technology. At the same time, it also makes me guess that this thing will be a little expensive. Of course, the projector weighs 4.6kg and requires two hands to pick it up.

Dangbei X3 Pro review appearance

A semi-packed aluminum-alloy filter is used on the back, which extends from the back to the left and right sides, and the Dolby sound and dts logos are also silk-screened on both sides. The aluminum alloy filter screen is evenly sandblasted, and the surface of the fuselage has a frosted effect, which greatly improves the touch feeling of the product.

Dangbei X3 Pro review port

At the same time, the back of Dangbei X3Pro is equipped with a variety of application interfaces, from left to right are 3.5mm headphone jack, two USB2.0 ports, two HDMI ports, one of which supports eARC, SPDIF optical output port, LAN network port and DC power connector. So this projector can be connected to PS5, Switch, and hard drive.

Dangbei X3 Pro review remote

The X3Pro remote control is the same as the Dangbei F5. Both are metal remote controls. The hand-held texture is much better than the plastic remote control. The key design is basically the same, but there is an extra side key. Dangbei metal remote control has two side buttons, one for focusing and the other for calling out global shortcut settings.

Dangbei X3 Pro review clean cloth

In addition, a projection lens cleaning cloth is presented, which can be used to clean the glass panel and projection lens of Dangbei X3Pro. When cleaning the lens, you don't need to buy a cleaning cloth yourself.

From the overall appearance, the Dangbei X3Pro is indeed very similar to the X3. At the same time, it is also the Chinese version of the global version of Dangbei MarsPro( See the Dangbei Mars Pro Review).

2. Dangbei X3 Pro Review System​

Simple and AD-Free UI​

The Dangbei OS on the Dangbei X3Pro is customized based on Android 9.0, and the more advanced version of the underlying system can further ensure that the system runs more stably and smoothly. The entire system UI interface is very simple, and the video content is clearly displayed. The point is that there are no advertisements in the system, and no advertisements when booting.

Dangbei X3 Pro review home page

Convenient Quick Setting Operation​

The Dangbei OS of the Dangbei X3 Pro is version 3.1, which was released at the beginning of this year. Dangbei OS3.1 newly added a floating shortcut setting, which also supports full-page outbound calls. Going into settings or turning on other features is very convenient while playing a video.

Dangbei X3 Pro review quick setting

Whole network search with rich resources​

In terms of resources, the built-in film sources of the system cover Mango TV, iQiyi, Tencent Video, etc. It covers the mainstream film source content of streaming media. If you can't find the source of the film, you can search through the whole network. And you can also download videos, which greatly meets the needs of users.

X Vision 4K Film Sources​

My favorite part of the Dangbei X3Pro is the X Vision. The content in X Vision is all 4K video sources, supports high dynamic HDR wide color gamut, the bit rate reaches +Mbps, and has 5.1 channels. If the film source is downloaded locally, the frame rate can also reach 60fps.

Dangbei X3 Pro review 4K resource

You know, on streaming media platforms, the nominal 4K resolution bit rate is around 6Mbps, and the frame rate is also 25fps. It can be seen how important the resources in the X horizon are for movie fans. The X3Pro with X Vision also maximizes the hardware strength of its own 4K projector, and also solves the problem that users cannot find 4K film sources.

Ambience Screensaver Background​

In the past two years, the use of projectors has gradually diversified, and many people use projectors to project background walls for shooting. Dangbei X3Pro also has a built-in application called Atmosphere, which can not only be used as a photography background wall, but also can be set as a screensaver. With the atmosphere background wall, you can also take more influencer projection background photos.

Dangbei X3 Pro review backgroud

Dangbei X3 Pro review backgroud

3. Dangbei X3 Pro Review High Performance​

In terms of hardware performance, Dangbei X3Pro is undoubtedly a high-end configuration. The main SoC chip of the X3Pro is MediaTek MT9669, which adopts the quad-core A73 architecture and the GPU is Mali-G52.

The computing speed of Dangbei X3Pro can reach 1.3GHz, and it has 4GB DDR4 running memory and 128GB storage space to ensure the computing speed and operating efficiency of the device. The MT9669 is good at processing video and running software.

Dangbei X3 Pro review configuration

Keystone/Autofocus/Automatic Entry Screen​

Dangbei X3Pro is equipped with ToF and Camera lenses, and also has a dedicated iChips chip for keystone correction. Compared with algorithmic keystone correction, it has more advantages. It can easily achieve laser focus, keystone correction, automatic screen entry and intelligent obstacle avoidance.

Dangbei X3 Pro review focus

I also tested focusing, keystone correction, and automatic screen entry. They are all efficient in terms of speed and efficiency, but there is a slight deviation in automatic screen entry.

There are many reasons for the problem of calibration accuracy, and the projection environment and projection screen will all have an impact. After all, automatic screen entry needs to recognize the black border of the screen, and the black border of my screen is less than one centimeter.

Motion Compensation​

When Bei X3Pro is playing high-speed moving 4K and 2K pictures, the motion compensation function will generate a new frame between two adjacent original frames, making the moving picture smoother and greatly reducing the smearing phenomenon.

HDMI Game Mode​

Of course, the X3Pro also supports a low-latency HDMI game mode. Game mode compresses the time spent on HDMI signal input to respond at the fastest speed. The average gamer can accept the delay below 30ms. According to the delay test data of Dangbei X3Pro evaluation, the average input delay in game mode is 14ms.

Dangbei X3 Pro review game latency

Sound Effect​

Dangbei X3Pro has built-in two 10W speakers with self-diaphragm, the fidelity volume of the dual 10W speakers is higher, and the sound effect is better. At the same time, the two speakers can better reflect the stereo sound effect, and it also supports Dolby Atmos and DTS.

4. Dangbei X3 Pro Review Image Viewing Effect​

The quality of the projector's image quality is mainly determined by the SoC system processing chip and the DMD display chip. The SoC chip is responsible for the video decoding output, and the DMD chip is the key to the picture display, providing higher resolution and brighter picture effects.

Dangbei X3Pro chooses the combination of MT9669 processor + 0.47DMD4K display chip, so that both video decoding and picture display can reach 3840*2160dpi resolution. In terms of brightness, Dangbei X3 Pro adopts cinema-grade ALPD laser fluorescent light source technology, and the laser light source is 3200ANSI lumens, which makes the screen display brighter.

Most importantly, this is the only medium and telephoto projector with a combination of 4K resolution and laser light source. In this regard, its picture effect is very exciting.

Dangbei X3 Pro review image

Judging from the real-shot picture effect, the X3Pro picture is clear and sharp, and the colors are bright and natural. The advantage of high brightness is also conducive to showing more details in the dark part of the picture. Especially in the picture of the green lizard, the actual viewing effect of the naked eye is very real.

Dangbei X3 Pro review image effect

In the evaluation of Dangbei X3Pro, we also compared the light-on and light-off environments. It can be seen that even in the environment with the lights on, the X3Pro's picture clarity and layering are still relatively clear; but the color is slightly pale.

Dangbei X3 Pro review image with light off

(Image effect with light off)

Dangbei X3 Pro review image with light on

(Image effect with light on)

5. Dangbei X3 Pro Review Summary​

Dangbei X3Pro is at a high level in smart projection products both in hardware strength and software level. I am very satisfied with the results of the Dangbei X3Pro review.

Dangbei X3 Pro review

From the perspective of 4K resolution, 3200ANSI lumens, MT9669 processor, Dangbei OS and other parameters, the X3Pro will be Dangbei's first blockbuster product to move from a flagship projector to a high-end projector, which will be the hottest 4K laser projector in the second half of 2022.

Last edited:

RickyT

This should be the most high-end new product in the Dangbei projector except the ultra-short-throw laser projector(y)

esegan

The Dangbei service answered me that the Chinese 4K Dangbei X3 Pro and 4K Dangbei Mars Pro are global, these are the same models, the difference is only in the firmware, that is, there are different launchers (shell).
Moreover, in the latest new firmware 3.х.х.х it is no longer possible to select English.
Therefore, it makes no sense to buy the Chinese version of the 4K Dangbei X3 Pro, especially since it is now more expensive than the 4K Dangbei Mars Pro globally by 500-650 yuan.

SimonK

The Dangbei service answered me that the Chinese 4K Dangbei X3 Pro and 4K Dangbei Mars Pro are global, these are the same models, the difference is only in the firmware, that is, there are different launchers (shell).
Moreover, in the latest new firmware 3.х.х.х it is no longer possible to select English.
Therefore, it makes no sense to buy the Chinese version of the 4K Dangbei X3 Pro, especially since it is now more expensive than the 4K Dangbei Mars Pro globally by 500-650 yuan.
I think that it depends on where you are. If you are in China, Dangbei X3 Pro. If not, then Mars Pro.

there's an international firmware for X3 Pro.

But I think since there is already Dangbei Mars Pro, there is no need to buy the Chinese version

FishZ

X3 Pro is more expensive?

esegan

X3 Pro is more expensive?
Yes, the X3 Pro is more expensive. But a supplier from China wrote to me that the 4K Dangbei Mars Pro will rise in price by 500RMB in June due to a shortage of components. Probably the reason is the launch of X3 Pro production for China, and the demand in China will be large for a billion people.

Yes, the X3 Pro is more expensive. But a supplier from China wrote to me that the 4K Dangbei Mars Pro will rise in price by 500RMB in June due to a shortage of components. Probably the reason is the launch of X3 Pro production for China, and the demand in China will be large for a billion people.
yeah dangbei x3 is very popular in China, A lot of people are waiting to buy it even when it's out of stock

yeah dangbei x3 is very popular in China, A lot of people are waiting to buy it even when it's out of stock
Yes, even the seller of the vividstorm projection screen recommended Dangbei X3 to me. It is said that when used with the ALR screen of vivostorm, the effect of Dangbei X3 is better than that of BenQ TK850.

esegan

Yes, even the seller of the vividstorm projection screen recommended Dangbei X3 to me. It is said that when used with the ALR screen of vivostorm, the effect of Dangbei X3 is better than that of BenQ TK850.
What screen model was recommended by the vividstorm seller for the X3 with a focal length of 1.2-1.3:1? I want to replace the screen and choose which one.

What screen model was recommended by the vividstorm seller for the X3 with a focal length of 1.2-1.3:1? I want to replace the screen and choose which one.
What's screen model do you using now? VIVIDSTORM seller recommend me the screen VSDSTALR100H. They said Dangbei x3 has 3200ANSI lumens, and the screen VSDSTALR100H need to compatible with the projector up to 2500 lumens. And the Dangbei x3 is a good choice for this screen. Hope this helps!

esegan

I have 2 screens on frames, one branded progesta 126 inches white matte, gain 1.0, and the second with a homemade frame 140-145 inches, gray, gain 0.5-0.6.
But I want to buy not a screen, but only a branded gray canvas 0.6-0.8. I have frames and only the canvas will cost at least 2 times cheaper.

I have 2 screens on frames, one branded progesta 126 inches white matte, gain 1.0, and the second with a homemade frame 140-145 inches, gray, gain 0.5-0.6.
But I want to buy not a screen, but only a branded gray canvas 0.6-0.8. I have frames and only the canvas will cost at least 2 times cheaper.
To be honest, I'm not sure if vividstorm can sell the screen material individually, maybe you can contact them, their email is [email protected].

EmmaEvans

I have to say that the effect of this projector is really great, it is a perfect combination with my vividstorm screen. Watching movies with this setup is a real treat!