Normal People gives me many hidden surprises.

Normal People gives me many hidden surprises.

I decided to check out Normal People on a whim. I went in thinking it probably wouldn't be for me and I'd switch off after 1 episode. But after that 1 episode they had reeled me in and I wanted to see more.

The 2 main leads of Normal People are just amazing. When they are on screen together its just a pleasure to watch and I don't want those scenes to end. The dialogue is top notch and they come off as real people.

Paul Mescal as Connell is just terrific and has to be the standout character. He's the popular jock in school but there is an insecurity in him that makes his character so appealing. Like in episode 2 when he feared Marianne wouldn't want to acknowledge him if they went to the same uni, or when he broke down in episode 3 to apologize to her.

The time jump and change in setting with episode 4 was a nice touch with their roles basically reversed. Marianne now the social butterfly and Connell the loner. I also liked the meta commentary of Connell being the main protagonist for episode 4 and then discussing narrator changes in the book his class was reading.

Episode 5 sees them dealing with the fallout of their past relationship (just an amazing scene to watch - nice subtle performances from both) and new romance rekindled.

I look forward to seeing what happens next. Normal People gives me many hidden surprises.