Streets of Rage 4 Review: it is not a new game

mtn328

Streets of Rage 4 is on the way. This is an old series, with the first being released in 1994. What is the point of its "comeback"? I was thinking about it. Mosaic has become a hand-painted style, the visual effect is turned upside down. But for such a game, the kernel is more important. I was a little worried if it would fit in with modern gamers beyond waking up Mr. Six. However, after getting started, the cloud of doubt dissipated. Based on the experience of the actual game, I think you can still say: although times have changed, "Streets of Rage" is still an interesting game.
Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 4

Developers: Lizardcube, Guard Crush Games, Dotemu

Publisher: Dotemu, Yooreka Studio

Release date: April 30, 2020

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC

Properties: arcade, horizontal action

I played with the previous generation when I was a kid, but I can't remember the generations. After a while to see the game's Settings, I felt a little confused. But one image I clearly remember is the heroine Blaze. Because at that time, people were playing games, and they were scrambling to use female characters. In addition, this character was repeatedly made into a cosplay character, and there were many secondary creations, so I have a deep impression on her.

Such a game, N after many years to think of a serious sequel, it actually has a kind of ability at this time, is to wake up memories. I started playing and didn't feel anything special for about 10 minutes, until I started to get familiar with the operation, especially the reflexes, the catch, the back throw and the kill kill Settings, and a lot of things came back to me.

Streets of Rage 4

It can be said that "Streets of Rage 4" is basically based on the previous template, although its painting style has been innovated, it looks like it is attached with a delicate shell, but the core inside is unchanged. The same old feel and style, the same set of enemies and Settings. After a week of customs clearance, I found that I had become fascinated by these old things, which are still interesting after all these years.

It's okay for you to play with it as a retro arcade, as well as as an opportunity for nostalgia. It is also a clear version of the game in which the character watches the thief move large, XY axis. You can't run. It's a classic and meaningful setup. On these two axes the battle moves in circles with the enemy, taking the first hand by position, and then beating him with his fist.

The way the game works is far too simple from today's point of view. It's not that it's easy to play, but the operating system is designed to be simple. There are four keys in total: general attack, kill, jump, pick up/use props. For other skills such as reflexive-punch and big move, the combination of two keys can be directly replaced by RT/RB. If you're an old six, and that's too much, you can set it to retro mode in Settings with just three keys, items and general attack combined, and nothing else.

Even if not played before, as long as a little bit of game experience, a look will understand. The fun is here, too. Every general attack is a temptation, like a flying enemy, dodging their attack, and then repositioning to take the lead. The simple feedback of killing one and looking for the next is a great word. The clear version of the rhythm is very fast, follow you, always can let you in a kind of excited state.

The nice thing about this is that the classic operations that have been retained have found their USES. I remember a lot of similar games with this kind of trouble, which is that an attack skill is designed to be too strong and not used up, and it ends up being a one-trick trick that can be eaten all over the place. But I have no such feeling when playing Streets of Rage 4. Although there are not many ways of attack, they all have the opportunity to appear. Especially in the face of special enemies, each can make a contribution to the credit book. For example, the front to grasp the enemy, can maintain the other side of the stiff straight posture, can also see the situation to a reverse throw; The same is true with the backswing, which is a leg sweep with a Blaze. She has long legs and a wide range of attack, which is better than Alex's fist. I've tried to stand in a corner and keep sweeping the ordinary minions, as long as they don't have anything in their hands.

The trick is also in the combination of these common buttons, which can be easily played without much thought. XXXX is the easiest and most effective way to attack. If you are willing to kill yourself, you can do more damage with Y. It's also worth noting that this generation doesn't have air punches either, and instead of a silly 1234 on the air, you keep throwing your first punches when your general doesn't hit the enemy. This is actually very important because you always have to use the first punch to get the first shot.

There are a lot of enemy types in general, and the frequency of change is fast, so it seems to be more. A lot of guys have to find a safe way to deal with it, and that's the hard part. You have to follow the other person's lead, and the bullies who are constantly bumping into each other, like fat people and stun cops, are extremely difficult to deal with when they're in a pile. Grenade soldier is also, the back has a pass this throws the grenade many is strange, I once incredibly was three grenades to play a solitaire, by the body are useless, directly killed.

Streets of Rage 4

There have been a lot of impressive Boss battles, with bosses amplifying their moves from time to time according to their health, and then changing their attack mode. Many bosses rely on speed and movement to make it difficult to get to the front of the line, and sometimes you have to jump or kill to find an opportunity. I remember the first time I hit a policewoman, my sisters just passed out. She raced all over the screen, and every time I caught up with her, she cleverly stepped back and played several times before slowly figuring out the pattern.

Sometimes a small Boss is more difficult than a close, because the interference of the minions is a bigger threat than the Boss himself. You have to devote your energy to the pawn, and the Boss is usually given a chance to take his life. Therefore, it is not difficult to fight one-on-one Boss battles, of course, this is based on the premise of a single machine, multiple cooperation will be different. (it could be messier)

But to my surprise, the final Boss was easier. It was a typical one to two game, I passed several times, only this let me have no injury desire...

Experience summary

In my opinion, Streets of Rage 4 is not a "new" game. Instead of following the crowd and reinventing the gameplay mechanisms to make them look so modern, it just polished the old classic elements to a more comfortable and refined form of expression, which has become a feature independent of other similar works since its rebirth. Whether you're a beginner or a veteran, you won't just pass through a single level in this game, it has a lot to challenge over and over again. And if you have a friend and a friend, you can play for a long time.