BenQ TH685 Pros and Cons on the basis of Contrast and Brightness Test

Venus

As Grégory's last thred BenQ TH685 Review indicates, BenQ announces a Gamut corresponding to 97% of the HDTV rec.709 color space. I measured a little more but overall the numbers hold. When leaving the box, the “ cinema ” mode will allow you to easily do without a calibration operation. The fine management of colors remains one of the strong points of the manufacturer. It is possible to obtain an even finer setting but if you do not want to take the lead simply select the cinema mode.
  • CIE out of the box
  • Advanced CMS out of the box
  • RGB GAMMA cinema out of the box

With a reduced color space do not expect to benefit from all the color nuances of a 4K HDR image; we are far from the DCI-P3.

Brightness measurements are close to the manufacturer's announcements, but not with just colors. Cinema mode allows to obtain, with correct colorimetry, more than 2000 lumens in normal lamp mode and 1500 in economic mode, all this with a native contrast of 700: 1 and a dynamic contrast of more than 2500: 1.

Here are my post-calibration settings:
USER mode 1
Normal color temperature
  • Gamma 2.2
  • Offset R: 256
  • Offset V: 256
  • Offsert B: 251
  • Gain R: 99
  • Gain V: 100
  • Gain B: 97

BenQ TH685 SUBJECTIVE VERDICT

RGB Gamma post calibration

Despite the presence of this damn bright frame I admit having taken more visual pleasure in the company of the TH685 than the TK850 . It is first of all by the precision of its image that the small 1080p model stands out from 4K simulation. This finesse benefits both Full HD and 4K programs.

Fury 1080P BenQ TH685
I was also able to appreciate the accuracy of the colorimetry, right out of the box, having taken care to select the "cinema " mode . I particularly welcome this feature which allows everyone to enjoy a good home theater session without pulling their hair to adjust the image parameters.

If the native contrast remains in the barely passable levels of other similar models, the dynamic contrast of the BenQ TH685 nevertheless makes it possible to improve the situation well without too much pumping effects.

BenQ TH685 Pros
  • Image accuracy,
  • The fluidity,
  • Dynamic contrast,
  • Natural colorimetry.
BenQ TH685 Cons
  • The operating noise in lamp mode at full power,
  • The lack of a significant light frame.

CONCLUSION

This test, which has often led me to make comparisons with the BenQ TK850 , shows once again that it is better to have a good Full HD projector than a bad 4K or similar. Between these two devices from the same manufacturer I can only recommend that you turn to the cheapest. It remains to live with this damned light frame which I do not understand once again how Texas Instrument was able to market (and especially continues to do so) DMD chips decked out with such a defect.

Last edited:

Dramaqueen

Having a frameless screen in front of a white wall I let you imagine how annoyed I can be by this bright frame which is also present with a Benq w1070 +

Stefani

With each new 4K projector test my conclusion is inexorably the same: it is urgent to wait for affordable native 4K chips. In full HD at 4m from a 250cm diagonal screen, we are below the distance separating power of the eye. No visible pixel therefore.

To better understand your analysis i wanna ask the following questions:
- You judge the display capacities (sharpness, sharpness, HDR display, color, contrast, brightness, that is to say for me overall rendering of the image) this video projector, equivalent, or even superior to BenQ TK850?
- my question comes up because although disappointed with the tk850 I must recognize an image superior to my w1070.

mtn328

I wonder what pushed Texas Instrument and the manufacturers of projectors to pass such a technical defect on their first generation 0.47 chip.

lexel

• Gamma 2.2
  • Offset R: 256
  • Offset V: 256
  • Offsert B: 251
  • Gain R: 99
  • Gain V: 100
  • Gain B: 97
Offset V and Gain V, is it mistake? Looks like it would be Green color (Offset G)?

sai

For daytime color contrast, match the ALR's anti-light screen.
It lowers ambient light to improve color contrast, and doesn't whiten the daytime projection like a regular screen does.
aHR0cHM6Ly9jaS54-5-1.jpeg