Can I place the TV outdoors?

Michelle

Now that TV has become standard in the home, it has almost completely lost its social value. But some users asked: Can I buy a TV to install in the yard?

The answer is that, in general, TVs are not suitable for outdoor use.
TV outdoors.jpg

Temperature and humidity​

The normal working environment temperature of the TV is in the range of 5℃-40℃; the normal working environment humidity is in the range of 30%-80%.

If it is indoors, these two needs are easily satisfied, and it covers the comfort boundaries of human perception. And if it's outdoors, environmental conditions can get out of hand.

Taking our most common LCD TV as an example, the color output of the screen requires the rotation of the liquid crystal molecules to achieve. If the temperature is too low, the flexibility of the liquid molecules will be reduced, which will affect the normal display effect.

If the temperature is too high, it will bring challenges to the heat dissipation of the body, and the possible failures will greatly increase. If the humidity is too low, it will cause static electricity and burden the circuit; if the humidity is too high, it will cause problems in electronic components, materials, etc., and also shorten the life of the TV.
TV outdoors1.jpg

Lighting and Reflection​

Put the TV outdoors and face the threat of sunlight. Even if we arrange the TV in the shadow of the backlight. In the case of sufficient sunlight, the diffuse reflection of sunlight by environmental objects will inevitably cause trouble to our viewing. If it is a professional outdoor TV or display product, the screen brightness is high enough, and the peak brightness of Samsung professional outdoor TV The Terrace reaches 2000nit, then the time we watch will be limited.

Nowadays, many TVs use metal frames or bases for indoor aesthetics, and some hard polymer materials are also polished to a metal-like texture. However, these designs will form reflected light into the naked eye in strong light outdoors, which will affect our viewing.

Dust, water, or insects​

The challenges of outdoor applications definitely take into account dust, liquids, summer-specific insects, and more. Ordinary TVs are not designed and manufactured with IP55 or even IP68 as the safety standard, so the safety of the outdoor environment is no longer reliable.

If you have the budget and want to watch TV outdoors, you would better get professional outdoor TV products like Samsung's The Terrace series. It's IP55 rated for water and dust resistance, has 2,000 nits of brightness, and features a QLED 4K display that can be viewed even during the day. The 75-inch TV is priced at $12,999, which is super expensive for most people.
projector for outdoor camping.jpg

In fact, most people don't consider using their TV outdoors because the risk is too great. Most people will choose a projector as an outdoor alternative to a TV. For example, Dangbei Mars Pro projector, it not only provides enough brightness (3200ansi lumens), the picture is big and clear, and it can be moved and easy to install. Whether camping in the yard or outside, a 4k home projector is a better choice than a TV.

EmmaEvans

Yes, I guess the projector would be better for the outdoors. It is relatively portable and has a relatively large visual size. Buy a high-brightness projector, plus a projection screen. I have tried using my MARS PRO and vivostorm for family gatherings before and it works great