Sony X90K vs. Sony X90J TV, which is better?

Tommy_tvs

Sony X90K vs. Sony X90J.jpg

Sony X90K is definitely one of the most anticipated new products in 2022, announced during CES Sony BRAXIA XR new generation of game TV X90K series is now finally open for pre-sale, providing 55-inch, 65-inch, 75-inch, 85-inch four configurations. So it's common that users want to know is it better than Sony X90J TV, which is so in heat in 2021. This article will compare Sony X90K and Sony X90J, let's see which is the better LED TV.

Sony x90k vs sony x90j.png

1. Appearance

The appearance of the two models is very similar, you can recognize it is a Sony product immediately, but the two TV base has a slight difference.

sony x90j.jpg

The Sony X90J base follows Sony's traditional triangular style and is just the right height to fit some of the regular supporting devices, such as TV boxes, echo walls, etc., without blocking the view.

sony x90k tv.jpg

Sony X90K is parallel to the desktop base, the metal material looks natural with the TV, the overall use of black color and the shape of the design is relatively stable, which will keep the TV stable.

It is also very simple to install, just plug the base into the corresponding interface.

Both TVs have small bezels and a high screen-to-body ratio, and when they are turned on, they play like a piece of art in the center of the living room.

2. Configuration

Sony X90K and X90J both use Sony's XR chip, while the X90K further optimizes the algorithm of the Cognitive Processor XR and further upgrades the speaker structure to make them sound as realistic and three-dimensional as if they were coming from a picture.

Cognitive Processor XR.jpg

In 2021, the Sony Cognitive Processor XR came out, Sony TV-related black technology, as well as picture technology, have been significantly improved. The new XR color display technology not only makes the picture color gamut wider but also can cross-analyze the picture elements like the human brain and through calculations, the small changes in different colors are meticulously displayed, so that the picture played on the TV is closer to the colors visible to the naked eye in life.

sony x90k interface.png

In terms of interface, Sony X90K has 2 HDMI 2.0 ports, 2 HDMI 2.1 ports; Sony X90J has 2 HDMI 2.0 ports, 2 HDMI 2.1 ports. And Sony X90K is compatible with HLG/HDR 10/Dolby Vision in HDR compatibility mode.

3. Game Mode

Both TVs have game mode, Sony X90K supports VRR variable refresh rate and has automatic low latency mode, which is smoother with Sony's own PS5 console. The TV will automatically switch to game mode after connection to minimize input latency and bring more responsive control, while the TV will switch to the standard mode when the user is watching movies and TV resources or discs.

The Sony X90J supports 4K/120fps HDMI input for smoother motion graphics, and also when paired with a gaming console, it can automatically switch to gaming mode with one touch to achieve less latency. This mode is created by Sony specifically for gamers and can be turned on/off to optimize the game mode depending on the game, reducing the input latency of the TV to improve the smoothness and operability when playing.

4. Summary

Both TVs are gaming TVs, which are very friendly for gamers, especially with a 4K/120hz HDMI 2.1 interface, so both TVs have a smooth gaming experience.

Which do you prefer, Sony X90K or Sony X90J?

You may also be interested in
Sony X90K vs. Sony X95K vs. Sony X90J

Last edited:

zozo591

ModelSony X90KSony X90J
Year20222021
Size55", 65", 75", 85"50", 55", 65", 75"
Backlight dimming typeLocal DimmingLocal Dimming
Backlight typeDirect (Full Array LED)Direct (Full Array LED)
DisplayLEDLED
WiFiWiFi 5-802.11acWiFi 5-802.11ac
Display techLCDLCD
Resolution4K4K
TunersATSC 3.0 (USA)
DVB-T2/S2/C (Europe)
ATSC 3.0 (USA)
DVB-T2/S2/C (Europe)
BluetoothYESYES
USB ports22
PocessorCognitive Processor XRCognitive Processor XR
Brightness200-300 nits500-800 nits
Color gamut98% BT.202095% DCI-P3
CPUQuad-core A73Quad-core A73
RAM4GB4GB
ROM32GB32GB
SystemGoogle TVGoogle TV
HDR 10YESYES
HDR 10+YESYES
Dolby VisionYESYES

JJoker23

The picture quality of the Sony X90J is amazing and combines perfectly with the PS5.

Usually, I play games on the Sony X90J, and my kids watch cartoons on the Dangbei projector. Because of the diffuse reflection principle of the projector, it is less harmful to the eyes compared to a TV.

dangbei mars pro 400 inch.jpg

I recommend the Dangbei Mars Pro because you can get a 250" picture for the price of a 75" TV, (you can project it up to 300", but I don't have a wall that big in my house)

Anyway, if you're looking for a projector for your movie night, I'd recommend the Dangbei Mars Pro, a laser projector with a brightness of 3200 ANSI lumens. I haven't seen a brighter projector in this price range.